Growing Odontocidium (Colmonara) Wildcat `Everlasting' Orchid

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses growing an orchid called "Odontocidium (Colmonara) Wildcat `Everlasting'". The speaker has it near a west-facing window and has set up a humidifier and fan to keep the humidity high and provide a light breeze. They are seeking advice from someone with experience growing this type of orchid or orchids in general. Suggestions on the right amount of sunlight, moisture, and growing medium are mentioned, with the recommendation to use a transparent glass pot for the roots to get light. The speaker expresses their gratitude for the advice and hopes to get the orchid to bloom next year.
NeoDevin
I just went to an orchid show, and came home with one. Now I need some advice on how to grow it. I have it near a west facing window, and the person at the show recommended this one as one of the better ones for hot afternoon sun. I also have a humidifier and a fan set up to keep the humidity up and a light breeze on my plants. The name on the tag is "Odontocidium (Colmonara) Wildcat `Everlasting'". If anyone has any experience with this type, or orchids in general and would care to offer advice, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 102_2596.jpg
    102_2596.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
This is one of ZapperZ's specialties!

Basically, orchids are tropical flowers and one has to have the right amount of sunlight/light, moisture and growing medium to grow them - and should match the tropical environment in which they grow naturally.

Odontocidium grows epiphytic, which means that in nature, their roots are anchored in trees. Epiphyts can be very rewarding if you take special care of that, absolutely no soil, but some wood / bark pieces for the roots and a transparant glass pot, so the roots get light as well. Careful with water. Just a bit.

Transparent pot? I haven't read that anywhere else, I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can find one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Looks like I must be doing something right. Now we'll see if I can get it to bloom next year as well.

Attachments

• 102_2632-3.jpg
    102_2632-3.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 350
  • 102_2629-2.jpg
    102_2629-2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 379

1. What is the ideal growing environment for an Odontocidium (Colmonara) Wildcat 'Everlasting' orchid?

The Odontocidium (Colmonara) Wildcat 'Everlasting' orchid thrives in a warm and humid environment with bright, indirect sunlight. It is important to keep the temperature between 65-75°F and humidity levels around 50-70%. It is recommended to place the orchid near a south or east-facing window, but avoid direct sunlight as it can cause sunburn on the leaves.

2. How often should I water my Odontocidium (Colmonara) Wildcat 'Everlasting' orchid?

Watering requirements can vary depending on the specific growing conditions, but generally, you should water your orchid once a week. It is important to thoroughly water the plant, allowing the water to drain completely from the pot. It is also recommended to use room temperature or lukewarm water to avoid shocking the roots.

3. How do I fertilize my Odontocidium (Colmonara) Wildcat 'Everlasting' orchid?

Fertilizing should be done every two weeks during the growing season (spring and summer) using a balanced orchid fertilizer. It is important to dilute the fertilizer to half the recommended strength to avoid burning the roots. During the winter months, fertilizing can be reduced to once a month or stopped altogether.

4. How do I repot my Odontocidium (Colmonara) Wildcat 'Everlasting' orchid?

Repotting should be done every 1-2 years, or when the pot becomes overcrowded with roots. Use a well-draining orchid potting mix and gently remove the orchid from its current pot. Trim off any dead or damaged roots, and place the orchid in the new pot, filling in any gaps with the potting mix. Water thoroughly after repotting.

5. How do I care for my Odontocidium (Colmonara) Wildcat 'Everlasting' orchid after it blooms?

After your orchid has finished blooming, you can cut the flower spike near the base to encourage new growth. Continue to care for the plant as usual, providing adequate water, light, and fertilizer. With proper care, your orchid may produce new blooms in the next blooming season.