Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order at the edge of chaos

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    Does anyone have a problem with order at the edge of chaos being the explanation regarding the way the universe operates if yes then why? The reason i am asking this question has to do with a philosophical debate i am having with a group of people.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, for starters, what do you mean by "order at the edge of chaos"?

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    Perhaps there is some insight into this question in quantum mechanics. In the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, a particle is supposed to take every possible path from one point to another. How a particle can take various paths simultaneously may seem chaotic. But the starting and ending point are something that is fixed. This much seems a well ordered point at the edge of these chaotic paths between them. In this sense, then one can talk about order at the edge of the universe.

5. Nov 15, 2006 #4
    All i am trying to say is that order at the edge of chaos is a good description of evolution and quantum mechanics without going into the details of it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  6. Nov 19, 2006 #5
    Order is perturbed description and an element of the human mind. To us, such concepts like equalibrium and order exist two fold because we identify the natural view of something that is "balanced." Chaos and random activity made evolution possible and is near the heart of QM, but order is a way of classifying this invariant reality when everything appears balanced and controlled. I wouldn't say "order on the edge of chaos" is sufficient because it is not a real concept but a generalization of the human mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?