1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order Fields Axioms

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using only axioms o1-o4 and the result in part (i), show that for any a,b[itex]\in[/itex]F, with 0<a and 0<b, that if a[itex]^{2}[/itex]<[itex]^{2}[/itex]b, then a<b.

2. Relevant equations
    o1) For any a,b[itex]\in[/itex]F, precisely one of the three following holds: a<b, b<a, a=b
    o2) If a,b,c[itex]\in[/itex]F, and if a<b and b<c, then a<c
    o3) For any a,b,c[itex]\in[/itex]F, if a<b, then a+c<b+c
    o4) For any a,b,c[itex]\in[/itex]F, if a<b and 0<c, then ac<bc

Part (i): For any a,b,c,d[itex]\in[/itex]F, with 0<b and 0<c, if a<b and c<d, then ac<bd

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried several dozen manipulations of this over the last several hours and it's just not coming together. I'm at the end of my rope with this one and I just want an answer. I'm well past the point where I would have a sense of accomplishment from figuring it out and I've still got more homework to finish by tomorrow morning, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted