Schedule Order for Phys 213 & 214: Opinions Needed

• Courses
  • Thread starter dsb5092
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the conversation discussed the potential impact of taking two physics courses, specifically Phys 213 and Phys 214, in reverse order. The courses are 2 credits each and offered in half semesters, with the prerequisite for both being mechanics and E and M. The general consensus was that there would not be a negative impact in taking the courses in reverse order, as they do not have much overlap and deal with different topics. However, it is important to consult with an advisor before making any decisions.
dsb5092
I'm trying to schedule my courses for next semester and just wanted opinion on one thing.

Phys 213 : Fluids & Thermal Physics
Phys 214 : Waves & Quantum Physics

Theses are 2 credits each and offered for half semesters each. The prereq for both is mechanics and E and M. WOuld taking them backwards have any negative impact.
I was going to take 214 the second half of next semester and then 213 the semester following that.

Physics news on Phys.org
QM and Thermal didn't have any overlap that I can remember. It's nice to think about how they are both related, but they tend to deal with things differently, so I don't see any danger in it. Fluids and waves don't overlap with anything, either. Really cool stuff, but I don't see you getting confused or anything.

As Poop-loops said, at the 200 level there really is no overlap between thermal and basic quantum. If you were taking 400 level courses like statistical mechanics and advanced undergrad quantum, I'd say that you should take quantum before stat mech, since stat mech requires a decent knowledge of quantum. But any course called "physics 213" will likely deal wih calculating specific heats, gas pressures, etc., and won't require any knowledge of quantum. Fluid mechanics has very little to do with wave mechanics (there's some overlap, but any decent fluids course will cover what you need to know about waves), so you're good there too.

Of course, make sure you at least run this by your advisor before taking advice from a couple of guys on the Internet who don't attend your school.

1. What are the course requirements for Phys 213 & 214?

The course requirements for Phys 213 & 214 typically include completion of prerequisite courses, such as introductory physics and calculus, as well as a lab component and a certain number of credits. It is important to check with your specific institution for the exact requirements.

2. How difficult are Phys 213 & 214 compared to other physics courses?

This can vary depending on the individual and their background knowledge, but in general, Phys 213 & 214 are considered to be more challenging than introductory physics courses. These courses typically cover more advanced topics and require a strong understanding of calculus and other mathematical concepts.

3. What are some common topics covered in Phys 213 & 214?

Some common topics covered in Phys 213 & 214 include electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. These courses may also cover related topics, such as circuits, waves, and atomic structure.

4. Are there any recommended study techniques for Phys 213 & 214?

It is always important to attend lectures and actively participate in class discussions. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and working through practice exams can help solidify understanding of the material. It may also be beneficial to form study groups with classmates to review and discuss course material.

5. What types of careers can Phys 213 & 214 prepare me for?

Phys 213 & 214 are often required courses for students pursuing degrees in physics, engineering, or other scientific fields. These courses can also provide a strong foundation for careers in research, technology, and other related fields.