Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order of element

1. Aug 19, 2013 #1
    Is there a term for the least k such that a^k = 1 in some ring R (if it exists, specifically in a finite ring)? Is there a way to get an upper bound in general? I know that it's hard to get even in say F_p, but I'm just looking for some conditions that would help me understand what it looks like.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The term order should work well.

Let ##n## be the number of invertible elements in the ring, then ##n## is an upper bound.

Well, you know that the invertible elements in ##\mathbb{F}_p## form a cyclic group of order ##p-1##. So finding the orders of the elements in equivalent to finding the orders of elements in ##\mathbb{Z}_{p-1}##, which is easy. So you know exactly which orders show up and which don't. The hard part is finding an explicit isomorphism between ##\mathbb{Z}_{p-1}## and the invertible elements in ##\mathbb{F}_p## (or equivalently: finding an element in ##\mathbb{F}_p## with order ##p-1##).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook