Order of Elements: Non-Abelian Group G & Correlation between |a|, |b|, |ab|?

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary: Dn, the elements of order 2 depend on whether or not n is even.if n is odd, then the sylow 2-subgroups are all of order 2, because half the elements are of odd order (the rotations).geometrically, it's obvious the reflections are of order 2, but we can prove this algebraically, as well:given: rn = 1, s2 = 1, and rs = sr-1, let's calculate (srk)2.first, a small detour:suppose this is true for k = 1.this is given by the defining relations on Dn.for k = m, this is given by the following equation:since
Bachelier
If a group G is non abelian and a and b in G have orders |a|= n and |b|= m, is there a correlation we can draw between m and n and |ab|?

Physics news on Phys.org
in general, no. it may be that |ab| isn't even finite.

for example, if G is the quotient of the free group on two generators defined by:

a2 = b2 = e

then ab is not of finite order, even though both a and b are of order 2.

Deveno said:
in general, no. it may be that |ab| isn't even finite.

for example, if G is the quotient of the free group on two generators defined by:

a2 = b2 = e

then ab is not of finite order, even though both a and b are of order 2.

Thanks. That's what I thought.

So How do I go about figuring out the order of different elements in a group. For instance, consider Dihedral D9 then I can define as : {a,b| |a|=9 and |b|=2}

Now if I'm trying to figure out the different Sylow 2-subgroups, I need to get the elements with order 2. How do I do it?

I guess in this case everything that is multiplied by b^2=e has order 2, it seems like I should treat e as zero under the multiplication rule.

Bachelier said:
Thanks. That's what I thought.

So How do I go about figuring out the order of different elements in a group. For instance, consider Dihedral D9 then I can define as : {a,b| |a|=9 and |b|=2}

Now if I'm trying to figure out the different Sylow 2-subgroups, I need to get the elements with order 2. How do I do it?

for the dihedral group Dn, the elements of order 2 depend on whether or not n is even.

if n is odd, then the sylow 2-subgroups are all of order 2, because half the elements are of odd order (the rotations). geometrically, it's obvious the reflections are of order 2, but we can prove this algebraically, as well:

given: rn = 1, s2 = 1, and rs = sr-1, let's calculate (srk)2.

first, a small detour:

lemma: rs = sr-1 → rks = sr-k.

for k = 1, this is given by the defining relations on Dn.

suppose this is true for k = m.

then rm+1s = r(rms) = r(sr-m) = (rs)r-m
= (sr-1)r-m = sr-(m+1),

so the general result holds by induction on k.

corollary: srk = r-ks

since r-k = rn-k,

we have rn-ks = srk-n, so rnr-ks = srkr-n, so the result follows, because both rn and r-n are the identity.

ok, back to showing what the square of a reflection is:

(srk)2 = (srk)(srk)

= (r-ks)(srk) = r-k(ss)rk

= r-krk = 1.

so every reflection has order 2. now, since 9 is odd, this means we have 9 sylow 2-subgroups, one for each reflection.

(if n is even, we have a slightly more involved situation, because now 4 divides the order of the group).

1. What is the order of a non-Abelian group G?

The order of a non-Abelian group G is the number of elements in the group. It can be found by counting the total number of elements in the group, including the identity element.

2. How is the order of an element |a| related to the order of the group G?

The order of an element |a| is the smallest positive integer n such that a^n = e, where e is the identity element. The order of the element |a| must be a factor of the order of the group G.

3. What is the correlation between the orders of two elements |a| and |b| in a non-Abelian group G?

In a non-Abelian group, the order of the product of two elements |ab| is not necessarily equal to the product of their individual orders |a||b|. However, the order of the product |ab| must divide the least common multiple of the orders |a| and |b|.

4. Can the orders of two elements |a| and |b| determine the order of their product |ab| in a non-Abelian group G?

No, the orders of two elements |a| and |b| cannot determine the order of their product |ab| in a non-Abelian group. The order of the product |ab| can only be determined by finding the least common multiple of the orders |a| and |b|.

5. How is the order of an element |a| related to the order of its inverse a^-1 in a non-Abelian group G?

In a non-Abelian group, the order of an element |a| is equal to the order of its inverse a^-1. This is because a and a^-1 have the same order, which is the smallest positive integer n such that a^n = e.