1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order of Group

1. Aug 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8448/63794724.gif [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

Firstly, how do I list the elements of H?

According to Lagrange's theorem if H is a subgroup of G then the number of distinct left (right) cosets of H in G is |G|\|H|.

So I must find the orders of G and H:

Since [tex]U(5)={1,2,3,4})[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4 = \{ 1,2,3,4 \})[/tex], the order of

[tex]G=U(5) \oplus \mathbb{Z}_4 = (1,1),(1,2),(1,3),(1,4), (2,1),(2,2),(2,3),(2,4),(3,1),(3,2),(3,3),(3,4),(4,1),(4,2),(4,3),(4,4)[/tex]

So G has order 16.

H is generated by the element (4,3), where 4 is an element of U(5) and 3 is from Z4. I know that [tex]| \left\langle (4,3) \right\rangle | = |(4,3)|[/tex]. So I think

Going back to lagrange's theorem |G|\|H|=16\12=4\3

But how could the number of cosets be a fraction? Could anyone please show me what I did wrong?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2
    Three notational problems:

1. What is [tex]U(5)[/tex]? Is it the group [tex](\mathbb{Z}/(5))^\times[/tex], the multiplicative group of units of the integers modulo 5?

2. If [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] represents the additive group of integers modulo 4, it is conventional to choose representatives [tex]\{0, 1, 2, 3\}[/tex] rather than [tex]\{1, 2, 3, 4\}[/tex].

3. The order of an element of a group (as opposed to the order of a group) is not written with absolute value bars. Some people write [tex]o(g)[/tex] for the order of an element [tex]g[/tex], which as you know equals the order [tex]|\langle g\rangle|[/tex] of the subgroup it generates. I think this notational confusion caused your mistakes below.

Now, supposing I've guessed correctly about your notational issues, you have made two mistakes: the order of [tex]4[/tex] in [tex]U(5) = (\mathbb{Z}/(5))^\times[/tex] is not [tex]4[/tex], and the order of [tex]3[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] is not [tex]3[/tex]. Figure out what the correct orders are, and that should solve your problem.

You also haven't listed the elements of [tex]H = \langle (4, 3) \rangle[/tex], which the question asked for.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook