1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order of magnitude problem

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    Ok heres the question and what I have solved so far

Grass grows densely everywhere on a 1/4 acre plot of land. What is the order of magnitude of the number of blades of grass? Explain your reasoning. Note that 1 acre = 43560 ft^2.

Ok. 43560/4 to get the 1/4 acre = 10890 ft^2

Now I have no experiance with order of magnitude problems yet, as I just started physics but I would guess to head in this direction.

Figure there is an estimated 1 blade of grass per cm. Convert the ft to cm and get 30.48cm in a foot so there would be 331927.20 cm in 10890 ft meaning there is 331927.20 blades of grass in the 1/4 acre if this information was accurate, so what is the +/- factor of this or the order of magnitude rather..

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your basic calculation is in error. If there are 30.48 cm in 1 foot then there are (30.48)^2 cm^2 in 1 ft^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?