1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order of magnitude problems

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    1. If the entire population of the United States forms a human chain by holding hands, how many times can such a chain be wrapped around the earth's equator. Round your answer to the nearest integer.

2. There were no formulas given for this problem. I googled the length of the earth's equator: it is 6.37 *10^6m and I know that the United States has about 300 million people

3.I tried multiplying 300 million with 6.37*10^6 and got the answer wrong. I'm completely desperate now; I don't have enough information to solve this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The length of Earth's equator is not 6.37*10^6. That is its radius. You need to multiply this by 2pi to get the circumferance.

You might be able to space your people a little farther than 1 meter apart.

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point of this kind of problem isn't to google the data - it is to be able to find a way of estimating the values you need, at least to within a factor of a few.

So the circumference of the earth. The metre was originally defined as 10,000,000 the distance form the equator to the North Pole, so the eath's circumference is about 40,000Km. If you didn't know this - what's the distance between say New York and LA, howmany time zones apart are they. Since there are obviously 24 timezones around the earth you can get the circumference.

5. Sep 1, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Why did you decide multiplying was the thing to do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?