Understanding the Order of Poles in Complex Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the poles of the function z/sin(πz²) and how they can be found using the Laurent expansion. It is concluded that for n=0, the function has a simple pole, while for other values of n, it has second order poles at z=±√n,±i√n. There is also a discussion about the function blowing up at the singular point and its order of pole.
Baibhab Bose
When The denominator is checked, the poles seem to be at Sin(πz²)=0, Which means πz²=nπ ⇒z=√n for (n=0,±1,±2...)
but in the solution of this problem, it says that, for n=0 it would be simple pole since in the Laurent expansion of (z∕Sin(πz²)) about z=0 contains the highest negative power to be 1/z. But, in case of the other values of z=±√n,±i√n, it says the Laurent expansion of z∕Sin(πz²) about z=±√n,±i√n, contains the highest negative to be 1/(z±√n)² and 1/(z±i√n)² from which we can infer that for n≠0 it has second order poles at z=±√n,±i√n.
I couldn’t figure out how to check this, since I can't manage to expand this weird function in Laurent series about z=±√n,±i√n these singular points.
So, how do I proceed to do so?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
That answer doesn't seem correct to me. Let's look at a pole at ##\sqrt{n}##. Let ##\xi = z-\sqrt{n}## and look at ##sin(\pi z^2) = sin(\pi n + 2\pi \sqrt{n} \xi + \pi \xi^2)##. We can write that (using a trig identity): ##sin(\pi n + 2\pi \sqrt{n} \xi + \pi \xi^2) = sin(\pi n) cos(2\pi \sqrt{n} \xi + \pi \xi^2) + cos(\pi n) sin(2\pi \sqrt{n} \xi + \pi \xi^2) = 0 + (-1)^n sin(2\pi \sqrt{n} \xi + \pi \xi^2)## When ##\xi## is small, we can use ##sin(x) \approx x##, so this is approximately ##(-1)^n (2\pi \sqrt{n} \xi + ## higher order terms ##)##. So ##\frac{z}{sin(\pi z^2)} \approx \frac{\sqrt{n}}{(-1)^n 2 \pi \sqrt{n} \xi} = \frac{(-1)^n}{2\pi \xi}##. So I think it has a first order pole at ##z = \sqrt{n}##

Thank you so much @stevendaryl !
But again my confusion is, here we see that this function, at the singular point, which you have evaluated, doesn't blow up at all, rather it boils down to a constant value. So in that case at z=√n the function remains analytic, and z=√n is not a pole at all, isn't it?
Again if I'm not wrong, that last constant term (−1)^n/2πξ is not a constant, since the ξ is present there in the denominator, which actually approaches 0, thereby blowing up the function. Thus we can conclude that its a simple pole at z=rootn. Right?

Baibhab Bose said:
Thank you so much @stevendaryl !
But again my confusion is, here we see that this function, at the singular point, which you have evaluated, doesn't blow up at all, rather it boils down to a constant value.

No, assuming my approximation is accurate, near ##z=\sqrt{n}##, the function ##\frac{z}{sin(\pi z^2)} \approx \frac{1}{2\pi \xi} = \frac{1}{2\pi (z-\sqrt{n})}##. So it blows up when ##z \rightarrow \sqrt{n}##

Again if I'm not wrong, that last constant term (−1)^n/2πξ is not a constant, since the ξ is present there in the denominator, which actually approaches 0, thereby blowing up the function. Thus we can conclude that its a simple pole at z=rootn. Right?

I think so. Saying that it has an order 2 pole seems wrong to me.

Yes, now its clear! Thank you, it was really helpful sir! :D

1. What is the Order of poles of z∕Sin(πz²)?

The order of poles of z∕Sin(πz²) is infinite. This means that there are an infinite number of poles located at every integer value of z.

2. How do you calculate the Order of poles of z∕Sin(πz²)?

The order of poles can be calculated by finding the highest power of z in the denominator of the function, which in this case is z².

3. What does the Order of poles tell us about the function z∕Sin(πz²)?

The order of poles tells us that the function has an infinite number of poles, which indicates that the function has singularities at these points.

4. Can the Order of poles of z∕Sin(πz²) change?

No, the order of poles is determined by the function itself and does not change unless the function is modified.

5. How does the Order of poles of z∕Sin(πz²) affect the behavior of the function?

The order of poles affects the behavior of the function by creating singularities at every integer value of z, which can cause the function to have discontinuities and behave unpredictably.