Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the homework statement is that Homework Equations describe the behavior of f,h on {1,2,3,4}. The order of (f°h) is min{K:g^k-e} or infinity if no such k exists.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let f,h ∈S_4 be described by:
f(1) = 1
f(2) = 4
f(3) = 3
f(4) = 2

h(1) = 4
h(2) = 3
h(3) = 2
h(4) = 1

Express (f°h) in terms of its behavior on {1,2,3,4} and then find the order of (f°h).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first I express (f°h) in terms of its behavior.
(f°h)(1) = 2
(f°h)(2) = 3
(f°h)(3) = 4
(f°h)(4) = 1

Done!
Now, find the order of (f°h):

The order of (f°h) is min{K:g^k-e} or infinity if no such k exists.

I'm having a bit of difficulty in this. To me, when I search wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_(group_theory)
It says that the order is the cardinality or the number of elements in the set.

(f°h)'s order thus is 4?
But I have a feeling it might be 3 based on in class examples.
My answer is 4.

How did I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to separate the order of a group, i.e., the number of elements it contains, from the order of a group element, i.e., the power you need to raise it to to get the identity element.

I would also suggest using cycle notation for group elements of ##S_n##, it reduces what you have to write significantly.

Likes RJLiberator
So the number of elements it contains is 4.
The order of a group element (the power needed to raise it to get the identity element) is 1?
so 4-1 = 3?

RJLiberator said:
So the number of elements it contains is 4.
The order of a group element (the power needed to raise it to get the identity element) is 1?
so 4-1 = 3?
No, the point is not to mix the concepts. The group is ##S_4## and its order is ##4!##, but that was not what the question was about. The question is about the order of the group element fh.

Ah. So that is the distinction.
I'm sorry, I made a typo in the question f,h was supposed to be (f°h)

The order of the group element (f°h) is thus 1 as any element in (f°h) has a power of 1.

RJLiberator said:
Ah. So that is the distinction.
I'm sorry, I made a typo in the question f,h was supposed to be (f°h)

The order of the group element (f°h) is thus 1 as any element in (f°h) has a power of 1.
No. The order of a group element ##f## is the lowest number ##k## such that ##f^k = e##, where ##e## is the identity element (which is the only element of order one!).

Hm.
OH. The order is 4? Because (f°h)(4) = 1!

That's the e, the identity.

I think the light went off in my head. Correct?

The order is 4, but the reason is not the one you stated. Try to figure out the order of f and h to start with. Note that also h(4)=1.
Edit: Are you familiar with cycle notation? It will simplify your life significantly.

Likes RJLiberator
Damn.

The order of h is 4.
The order of f is 1.

f composed of h is thus 4*1 = 4 ?

RJLiberator said:
Damn.

The order of h is 4.
The order of f is 1.

f composed of h is thus 4*1 = 4 ?
No. What is h^2?

Likes RJLiberator
And again note that the only element with order one is the identity, for no other element ##f## is ##f^1=f=e##.

Likes RJLiberator
So it deals with powers ?

h^2 = I am not even really sure how to express this. Perhaps this is my problem.

h^2 = h(2)^2 = 9 ?

RJLiberator said:
So it deals with powers ?

h^2 = I am not even really sure how to express this. Perhaps this is my problem.

h^2 = h(2)^2 = 9 ?
No, h^2 is the usual notation for h×h, where × is the group operation.

Likes RJLiberator
Ok.
h^2 then is

(h°h)(1) = 1
(h°h)(2) = 2
(h°h)(3) = 3
(h°h)(4) = 4

(f°f) is similar.

Right, so what is the order of f and h? If you apply the same reasoning to f×h, what is its order?

Likes RJLiberator
No, taking a power of the group operation has nothing to do with taking a power of the elements you rearrange. Still, I suggest you first figure out the orders of f and h.

Oh, it deals with permutations (from reading the link?)

{1, 2, 3, 4} = the permutations are thus for the power of say, 2 we get {(1,3)(2,4)}
And so the permutations of 4 is the identity back.

So what are the orders of the elements f, h, and f×h?

f = {1, 4, 3, 2}
so the order is 3
due to permutations

h = {4, 3, 2, 1}
so the order is 4

fxh = { 2, 3, 4, 1}
so the order is 4

RJLiberator said:
f = {1, 4, 3, 2}
so the order is 3
due to permutations
No. What is f^2?
(Cycle notation for f would be f=(24)(1)(4), or the short-hand (24))
RJLiberator said:
h = {4, 3, 2, 1}
so the order is 4
No, what is h^2?
(Cycle notation h = (14)(23))

Likes RJLiberator
f^2 = (1,3)(4,2)
h^2 = (4,2)(3,1)

This is due to permutations, correct?

RJLiberator said:
f^2 = (1,3)(4,2)
h^2 = (4,2)(3,1)

This is due to permutations, correct?
No, this is incorrect. What is f(f(1))?

Likes RJLiberator
Well f(f(1)) is 1.

That much I should know to be true.

And f(f(2)), f(f(3)), and f(f(4))?

Likes RJLiberator
f(f(1)) = 1
f(f(2)) = 2
f(f(3)) = 3
f(f(4)) = 4

So f^2 means 2 = the order of f !?
And thus, h^2 means 2 is the order of f.
so 2*2 = 4 for f*h ?

RJLiberator said:
f(f(1)) = 1
f(f(2)) = 2
f(f(3)) = 3
f(f(4)) = 4

So f^2 means 2 = the order of f !?
And thus, h^2 means 2 is the order of f.
so 2*2 = 4 for f*h ?
No, you are just guessing here. That f(f(x)) = x means that f^2 is the identity and therefore f is of order 2. The order of a product is generally not the product of the orders.

Likes RJLiberator
My thought was that since f(f(x)) produced the set {1,2,3,4} that this meant it was the order. Precisely what you mean here:

That f(f(x)) = x means that f^2 is the identity and therefore f is of order 2.

So instead of guessing at the product property that doesn't exist. Let's see where we can go with this.
if f = 2 and h=2 in terms of orders

We try to find order of f*h

So, first we find f*h = 2, 3, 4, 1
So we do the process again for order = 2. This results in the set {3, 4, 1, 2}
This is not what we want so we check order = 3. This results in the set {4, 1, 2, 3}
So we check n = 4. This results in {1, 2, 3, 4}

Walouh!

Right, this is even more evident in cycle notation where f×h = (1234), which is a single cycle containing 4 elements, meaning it will go to the identity when taken 4 times.

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks for your dedicated help here. A simple operation, but quite confusing the first time seeing it for me. (we just started groups this week).

1. What is the purpose of the Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution?

The Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution is a mathematical concept used to solve problems involving functions and compositions of functions. It helps to determine the order in which functions should be applied in order to obtain the correct solution.

2. How do you calculate the Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution?

To calculate the Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution, you need to first determine the order of the two functions involved, denoted as f and h. Then, you can use the formula n = m x k, where n is the order of the composition (f°h), m is the order of f, and k is the order of h.

3. What is the difference between Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution and Order of Operations?

Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution is a concept used in mathematics to solve problems involving functions, while Order of Operations is a set of rules used to determine the order in which mathematical operations should be performed.

4. Can the Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, the Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution can be applied to any number of functions. The formula n = m x k can be extended to include more functions, where n is the order of the composition of all the functions, and m and k are the orders of each individual function.

5. How is the Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution used in real life?

The Order of (f°h) Group Homework Solution is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to solve problems involving multiple functions. It is also used in everyday life, for example, when calculating the total cost of a meal with tax and tip included, where the functions represent the cost of the meal, tax rate, and tip percentage.