What Is the Best Sequence to Study Physics Topics as a Math Grad Student?

• Thread starter Robert1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, if you are looking to have a strong understanding of Classical Mechanics, Thermodynamics, and E&M, it would be best to start with Classical Mechanics and then move on to the other subjects in the order mentioned above. Be sure to ask any questions that may arise during your studies.
Robert1986
OK, so this is kind of related to a thread I started in the Books section. I am currently (well, I will be in a few weeks) a math grad student. We have to take grad-level courses from a school outside of math. I want to do Physics because I remember thinking it was interesting when I took the classes, but I haven't really done much Physics since then. So, the Physics classes I have taken are just the regular freshman calc-based physics stuff and one class in computational physics (a class I got nothing out of because I didn't really understand what was being computed, so in answering this, you may assume I have only taken the first two physics classed.)

Now, my goal before I get done is to have a fairly decent grasp of Classical Mechanics, Thermodynamics and E&M. Now, I don't really know how possible this is, as I don't really know what encompasses these subjects. However, is there a certain order I should go in when studying these? Would it make sense to the Classical Mechanics before E&M? Or would it be possible to do two at a time?

Feel free to ask me any questions if you need to.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance! It would make sense to start out with Classical Mechanics, as this is the foundation for many of the other concepts in Physics. After that, you could move onto Thermodynamics, then Electromagnetism (E&M), and then onto more advanced topics like Quantum Mechanics or Relativity. If you want to do two at a time, it would be best to start with Classical Mechanics and Thermodynamics as they both have a lot of overlap and complement each other. Then, you could move on to E&M and whichever other advanced topic you would like to study.

1. What is the best way to start learning physics?

The best way to start learning physics is by understanding the basic concepts and principles. This includes familiarizing yourself with mathematical equations and units of measurement. It is also important to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. Which topics should I focus on first when learning physics?

It is recommended to start with the fundamentals such as mechanics, motion, forces, and energy. These concepts provide a strong foundation for understanding more complex topics in physics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of difficult physics concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of difficult physics concepts is through practice and experimentation. Try solving different types of problems and conduct experiments to see these concepts in action. You can also seek help from teachers, tutors, or study groups.

4. What are some useful resources for learning physics?

There are many useful resources for learning physics, including textbooks, online courses, educational websites, and video lectures. You can also find practice problems, simulations, and interactive learning tools to help you grasp difficult concepts.

5. Is it possible to learn physics without a strong math background?

While having a strong math background can be helpful, it is not a requirement for learning physics. Many concepts in physics can be understood without advanced mathematical knowledge. However, having basic math skills and a willingness to learn and practice mathematical equations is important for mastering physics concepts.