Ordered a couple of AoPS textbooks

In summary, the conversation was about the Intermediate Algebra and Precalculus books from the Art of Problem Solving website. The person asking the question had ordered these books for their precalculus class and was wondering if anyone had experience using them. Another person responded saying they had used the same publisher's books for self-study in high school and found them to be helpful for math competitions. However, they did not have experience using them for an actual class. The conversation concluded with the mention of a poor online textbook and the plan to purchase the books for self-study in the future.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not those in particular, but I've skimmed their Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 books, which were pretty good.

I have used their books in high school to self-study for math competitions (haven't seen their calculus and pre-calculus books as they are recent additions). I liked them and feel they adequately prepared me for the earlier stages of competition, and later on prepared me for the more advanced material. In particular I like that they focus on problem solving which is really the hard part of high school and early college material. I have no experience in using them for an actual class though.

rasmhop said:
I have used their books in high school to self-study for math competitions (haven't seen their calculus and pre-calculus books as they are recent additions). I liked them and feel they adequately prepared me for the earlier stages of competition, and later on prepared me for the more advanced material. In particular I like that they focus on problem solving which is really the hard part of high school and early college material. I have no experience in using them for an actual class though.
Yeah these are for self-study. The online textbook my class uses is crap. The images that are supposed to explain the problems are missing and the formatting is completely off.

I'll probably get Vol. 1 and 2 in a couple of months so I can try my hand at AMC12.

I am not familiar with these specific textbooks, but I can provide some general information about the Art of Problem Solving (AoPS) curriculum. AoPS is known for its rigorous and challenging approach to mathematics education, with a focus on problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Many students who use these textbooks have gone on to excel in math competitions and advanced mathematics courses.

Based on the titles and descriptions of the textbooks you have ordered, it seems like they will cover a wide range of topics in both intermediate algebra and precalculus. This can be beneficial for students who want a strong foundation in these subjects, as well as for those who are preparing for more advanced math courses.

In terms of personal experience, I would recommend reaching out to other students or teachers who have used these textbooks for their feedback and opinions. It can also be helpful to read reviews and see if there are any sample chapters or exercises available online to get a better understanding of the content and style of the books.

Overall, I believe that using these textbooks can be a valuable addition to your precalculus class and can help you develop a deeper understanding of the material. However, it is important to keep in mind that different textbooks may work better for different students, so it is always a good idea to try different resources and see what works best for you.

What are the benefits of using AoPS textbooks?

There are several benefits to using AoPS textbooks. They are designed to challenge students and promote critical thinking skills. They also provide a rigorous and comprehensive approach to learning math and science concepts. Additionally, they offer a variety of practice problems and solutions to help students master the material.

What subjects are covered in AoPS textbooks?

AoPS textbooks cover a wide range of subjects, including prealgebra, algebra, geometry, number theory, counting and probability, and calculus. They also have textbooks specifically for science subjects such as physics, chemistry, and biology. Additionally, they offer textbooks for competition preparation, such as the AMC and USAMO.

How are AoPS textbooks different from traditional textbooks?

AoPS textbooks are different from traditional textbooks in that they focus on problem-solving and critical thinking rather than rote memorization. They also provide a more challenging and in-depth approach to topics, making them suitable for advanced students or those looking to excel in math and science.

Are AoPS textbooks suitable for self-study?

Yes, AoPS textbooks are suitable for self-study. They are designed to be easily accessible for students to work through on their own. However, it is recommended to have a teacher or tutor available for guidance and to discuss any challenging concepts.

Can AoPS textbooks be used as a primary curriculum?

AoPS textbooks can be used as a primary curriculum for students who are looking for a more challenging and in-depth approach to learning math and science. However, they can also be used as a supplement to other textbooks or classroom instruction.