Order Smileys: Happiest to Saddest to Scariest

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the speakers suggest organizing the smileys in a logical order to make it easier to find the desired one. One speaker mentions spending a lot of time looking for specific smileys and another suggests learning the codes. The conversation also references past changes to the smiley codes and the nostalgia for the lively discussions in the past.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
How about putting the smileys in some sort of order? Say, happiest to saddest to scariest? Or any other logical spectrum.

That way when I'm scrolling through them, I don't have to look at every single one every time. I can just go to top if I know I want a happy icon and the bottom if I want a sad icon.

Anybody else spend an inordinate amount of time hunting up and down for the :wink: or :approve: icon?

Physics news on Phys.org
:cool::cry::confused::zzz::redface::smile::frown:
:bugeye:
:eek::uhh::shy::grumpy::!):mad::wink:o:)
:tongue2: :devil::biggrin::blushing:
:tongue:
:rolleyes::rofl::approve::yuck:

Do the smilies still move? They used to move all lof the time so i never knew where to find the one I wanted without scroling.

Maybe :uhh: it doesn't take much effort to learn the codes :approve: and beat http://www.smileys4me.com/getsmiley.php?show=232 the system of moving smileys http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/spezial/Fool/fly.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
you've been here for 5 years, but have not yet memorized the code?

Sure I have

http://www.smileys4me.com/getsmiley.php?show=5180

The last time I remembered them, Greg changed them. I have the ones in chat memorized, but not the ones here, go figure. :biggrin:

Evo said:
The last time I remembered them, Greg changed them. I have the ones in chat memorized, but not the ones here, go figure.
I can't say that I've got all of them memorized :wink:
I seems https://www.physicsforums.com/customavatars/avatar282_1.gif is studying hard though.

Monique said:
you've been here for 5 years, but have not yet memorized the code?

That was my thought too! The smiley codes changed once soon after I joined up, but have been the same ever since. Once in a while I want to use one I don't use very often and can't recall the code, but for the most commonly used ones, the code is memorized.

The only problem I have is that I keep trying to use the codes here on other forums. :biggrin:

And, every once in a while, I'm tempted to type in Tsu's innovation and see if any smiley was ever assigned to it... :buggrin: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
And, every once in a while, I'm tempted to type in Tsu's innovation and see if any smiley was ever assigned to it... :buggrin: :biggrin:
:rofl: I was thinking of :buggrin: when I made my post too, that was a classic!

I miss Tsu's posts, those were some good times. You, Moonbear, were an absolute riot back in the day. Those were good times. I think GD reached it peak back then. Sad that we don't have fun like that anymore. :frown:

At least they have been immortalized in the GD Classics thread.

Evo said:
:rofl: I was thinking of :buggrin: when I made my post too, that was a classic!

As I was posting in another thread just now, I was also thinking of :surpissed: I don't remember who started that one. But GD back then was more like the Wild West than it is now.

1. What is the purpose of ordering smileys from happiest to saddest to scariest?

The purpose of ordering smileys in this way is to visually represent a range of emotions from positive to negative, with the scariest being the most extreme or intense negative emotion.

2. How is the order of the smileys determined?

The order is typically determined by the facial expressions and features of the smileys, with the happiest having a big smile and the scariest having a frown or other menacing expression.

3. Is the order of the smileys universal or does it differ across cultures?

The order of the smileys may vary slightly across cultures, as some cultures may have different interpretations of certain facial expressions. However, the general trend of happiest to saddest to scariest is commonly recognized.

4. Can the order of the smileys change over time?

Yes, the order of the smileys can change over time as societal norms and perceptions of emotions evolve. For example, a smiley that was once considered scary may now be seen as comical or even happy.

5. Are there any potential limitations to using this type of ordering for smileys?

One potential limitation is that it may not accurately represent the full range of emotions, as there are many complex emotions that cannot be easily categorized as simply happy, sad, or scary. Additionally, the interpretation of the smileys may vary from person to person, making it difficult to determine a universal order.