Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orders of diffraction

1. Mar 15, 2014 #1
    Can diffraction be explained for tilted light arrays or only normal incident lights can have diffraction orders?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

All light diffracts when it's path is restricted - so you can have diffraction when the light is not normal incidence on the diffraction grating. The reason you are taught the normal-incidence case is that the math is simpler.

You can try it out and see.

4. Mar 15, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Diffraction from what? What is the light shining onto? What kind of diffraction are we talking about here?

5. Mar 15, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Diffracted from "tilted light arrays" ... English is a second language perhaps? The interpretation is reinforced by the reference to the angle of incidence and a perusal of introductory lessons in diffraction. We would say "diffraction gratings" in the same place.

Still - that is a guess: I could be wrong :)

6. Mar 15, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This thread was originally in the "Atomic, Solid State, etc." forum, so my first thought was Bragg diffraction of X-rays from a crystal. But that confused me, because with Bragg diffraction you usually do analyze it with the light coming in at an angle!

Another mentor moved it here later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook