1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orders of Isomorphisms

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let phi : G --->G' be an isomorphism of groups. let x element of G and let x'=phi(x)

Prove that the orders of x and x' are equal

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont even know what the order of a isomorphism means. As far as i know, an isomorphism is just a bijective map from G to G'. How does this have order?
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question isn't asking you to find the order of an isomorphism. It's asking you to look at the orders of x and x'.

Also, generally speaking, an isomorphism can have an order: there are groups whose elements are maps.
  4. Oct 21, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An isomophism is NOT just a "bijective map from G to G'". It is a bijective map that preserves the operation: phi(x*y)= phi(x).phi(y) where * is the operation in G and . is the operation in G'.

As morphism told you, the question does not ask anything about "order of an isomophism"- it asks about the orders of x and phi(x), a member of G and a member of G'.
  5. Oct 21, 2008 #4
    Ok im still lost on this problem.

I know we want to show that xn=eg and phi(x)n = eg' for some integer n.

but i dont know how to do this.
  6. Oct 21, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you want to show that IF xn= eG, then (phi(x)n= eG'. try applying phi to both sides of the first equation.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  7. Oct 21, 2008 #6
    ok so phi(xn)= phi(eg)
    ==> phi(xn)= eg'

because phi is an isom

phi(xn)= phi(x)n

and phi(x)n=eg'

thus both x and x' have order n

That good?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?