Are there any units of measurement between 10^3 and 10^6 in the metric system?

• Thread starter DS2C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the order of magnitude is a scale used in the metric system to express the size of a value. However, there are "gaps" between some of the orders of magnitude, such as between 10^3 and 10^6. These gaps do not have specific prefixes and are simply expressed in their numerical form. The prefixes used in the metric system, such as kilo and mega, are not units but labels for convenience. Therefore, values with an order of magnitude of 10^4 or 10^5 are simply referred to in their numerical form, such as 100,000 grams or 100 kilograms. These gaps in prefixes do not add significant convenience in communication.
DS2C
I understand that the order of magnitude is the scale of a value expressed in the metric system. For example, 500 and 900 would be of the same order of magnitude as the both are in the magnitude of 10^2.
However in the metric system, there are "gaps" between some of the orders of magnitude. For example, it goes 10^1, 10^2, 10^3, then 10^6.
My question- is there any unit of measurement between 10^3 and 10^6? There are two unlisted orders of magnitude between these two, and it just goes from kilo to mega with no listed units or orders of magnitude in between. So there's two orders of magnitude missing. What's the reason? It seems awkward to have kilo of magnitude 3, then skip directly to mega with magnitude 6.

Science news on Phys.org
I think you are confusing two things. Order of magnitude always refers to a power of 10, as in an order of magnitude approximation.

The words used for metric prefixes (such as kilo, mega) are not units. They are merely labels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix#List_of_SI_prefixes

That article says:
Application to units of measurement[edit]
The use of prefixes can be traced back to the introduction of the metric system in the 1790s, long before the 1960 introduction of the SI. The prefixes, including those introduced after 1960, are used with any metric unit, whether officially included in the SI or not (e.g., millidynes and milligauss). Metric prefixes may also be used with non-metric units.

The choice of prefixes with a given unit is usually dictated by convenience of use. Unit prefixes for amounts that are much larger or smaller than those actually encountered are seldom used.

Likes DS2C
+1

You can have values with an order of magnitude 10^5 or any power you like. We just haven't given 10^5 a special name.

Oh and it's nothing to do with the metric system. 500ft and 900ft both have same magnitude, as does 100 miles and 300 miles.

Likes DS2C
anorlunda said:
I think you are confusing two things. Order of magnitude always refers to a power of 10, as in an order of magnitude approximation.

The words used for metric prefixes (such as kilo, mega) are not units. They are merely labels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix#List_of_SI_prefixes

That article says:

I think I rambled a little too much in my initial post. So the orders of magnitude, as you said, are powers of 10. The metric prefixes are just prefixes and not units. For example, you can have kilowatts, and kilograms. Kilo is the prefix, watts and grams are the units. My confusion is lies in the gaps of the metric prefixes.
For example:
gram: 10^0
dekagram: 10^1
hectogram: 10^2
kilogram: 10^3
megagram: 10^6

Why is there no prefix for 10^4 or 10^5?

CWatters said:
+1

You can have values with an order of magnitude 10^5 or any power you like. We just haven't given 10^5 a special name.

Oh and it's nothing to do with the metric system. 500ft and 900ft both have same magnitude, as does 100 miles and 300 miles.
Ok there's where I was confused. So if I have a mass of 10^5 grams, there's no special name for it, and I would just call it 100,000 grams, or 100 kg, etc?

DS2C said:
Ok there's where I was confused. So if I have a mass of 10^5 grams, there's no special name for it, and I would just call it 100,000 grams, or 100 kg, etc?

Correct.

Likes DS2C
DS2C said:
Why is there no prefix for 10^4 or 10^5?
Because it wouldn't add a significant communication convenience to have one.

Likes DS2C
Even "deka" and "hecto" aren't very commonly used, as far as I've seen, except in "hectare." Neither are "deci" and "centi" except of course in "centimeter."

Likes DS2C
Ok great thanks guys.

1. What are orders of magnitude gaps?

Orders of magnitude gaps refer to the difference in size or quantity between two values that differ by a factor of 10. This concept is often used in scientific measurements to represent large differences in scale.

2. How are orders of magnitude gaps calculated?

Orders of magnitude gaps are calculated by taking the logarithm of the two values and finding the difference between them. For example, if one value is 100 and the other is 10, the orders of magnitude gap would be 1 (log 100 - log 10 = 1).

3. Why are orders of magnitude gaps important in science?

Orders of magnitude gaps are important in science because they allow us to easily compare and understand extremely large or small values. They help us visualize the scale of the universe and make sense of complex data.

4. What are some examples of orders of magnitude gaps?

Some examples of orders of magnitude gaps include the difference in size between a human and a bacterium (10^-6 m) or between the Earth and the Sun (10^8 m). It can also be used to compare the difference in population between a city (10^5) and a country (10^8).

5. Can orders of magnitude gaps be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, orders of magnitude gaps can be used in other fields besides science. They are commonly used in finance to compare the difference in wealth between individuals or companies, and in computer science to measure the difference in speed or capacity between different computer systems.