1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orders of magnitude help

1. Mar 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys this isn't so much a coursework or homework help problem but figured this would be a sensible place to post my question. Basically I got back an assignment I had recently completed from my tutor and I had been marked down for some errors in regard to the orders of magnitude and he said I have been using the same order of magnitude for lets say μm (10^-6) as μm^2. My question is, what is the difference when the units are squared? Does this mean that, lets say 8μm^2 would not be equal to 8x10^-6 but a different value? Any help is appreciated to clear this up :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider a square with side lengths equal to ##1 \mu m = 10^{-6}m##. Try expressing the area of this square in ##\mu m^2## and in ##m^2##.

4. Mar 25, 2014 #3
    Would this be correct:

For area in μm = 1μm^2

and area in m = 10^-6m^2

Thanks for replying!

5. Mar 25, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

No. If the side length is ##10^{-6}m##, then what do you get when you square that? Surely the square of ##10^{-6}## is not ##10^{-6}##.

6. Mar 25, 2014 #5
    Ah I see! It would be 10^-12?

7. Mar 25, 2014 #6
    The conversion factor must also be squared - obviously. Draw a square 10cm by side on a piece of paper. Cut it down to squares 1cm by 1 cm (Don't really cut, just draw them). How many little squares do you have at hand? Do you have only 10 little squares?

8. Mar 25, 2014 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right. So ##1 \mu m^2 = 10^{-12} m^2##, not ##10^{-6}m^2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted