Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orders of Magnitude.

1. Jul 24, 2013 #1
    Fascinating looking at the various orders of magnitude (in terms of length), from the size of the visible universe (~10^25) to the size of a quark (~10^-15), and all orders inbetween.

But then I read about Superstring theory and how these strings are at the Planck length, around 10^-33. Why the huge jump from quark to string? Surely there must be loads of "stuff" in-between?

Apologies if this is a daft question!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why?
    The Planck scale (length, but also all other Planck units) is far away from everything we know. That means there could be something in between, but it does not have to.

4. Jul 24, 2013 #3
    It doesn't mean it has to, but this huge gap is kind-of odd to me. I wondered whether there was a fundamental reason why there's a huge jump in magnitude before we get to the smallest of the objects we know about.

5. Jul 24, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It looks odd to scientists as well - and it is one of the reasons why many scientists expect that new physics is not so far away from current physics.
    Supersymmetry is one possibility, and extra dimensions can lower the Planck scale.

If there is one, it is not known yet.

Strings are not "the smallest objects we know about". String theory is - even if you are optimistic - a concept how we might get a new theory at some point in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook