Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oregon Country Fair meeting

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Tsu and I were discussing yesterday of getting a bunch of people together from the Pacific area or North America to meet at the Oregon Country Fair this year. Might be fun.

With fuel prices the way they are, I was thinking of car pooling, or perhaps bicycling the 120 miles from Portland. (It's been at least 30 years since I've cycled 250 miles in a weekend. I might need some encouragement.)

There is much soap to be purchased there.
    It is a place full of magical spirits that will send all your angst spirits back to hell where they belong.
    And there is the energy park... Where hippies pretend to solve the worlds problems with bio-diesel fuels, solar panels, and naked showers.

Did I say naked, co-ed showers? :bugeye:

Sorry...

It's a marketing ploy. :blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2
    As opposed to non-naked showers?

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I actually did that at a marine base down in San Diego a few years back. I went into the shower and a whole crapload of youngsters came in and started staring at me. I slowly put my bathing suit back on and said several "hail mary, mother of god, what on earth are these youngsters so fascinated with". And I'm not even catholic......

5. Jun 11, 2008 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

Yes, I think we should plan a PF day at the Oregon Country Fair. All West Coasters are invited!! Actually Mid-West and East-Coasters are invited, too. But YOU guys are REALLY gonna wanna carpool!!! :biggrin:

It's the weekend of July 11-13. Here's the webpage again with more info.

http://www.oregoncountryfair.org/

MIH!! Can you come up for the festivities?? You can sleep in our guest room with Little Tyke kitty for company.... :biggrin: EVO!! MOONBEAR!!! You TOO?!?!? Bring the Turbo RV!!

6. Jun 11, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, which day might it be?

7. Jun 11, 2008 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

Which day would work best for you? OmCheeto wants Saturday. I sort of wanted Sunday - only because I work until midnight on Friday so I sleep a good part of Saturday - whether I'm in bed or NOT!!! :biggrin: I'd sure hate to sleep thru OCF!!! But I'm open to Saturday, too. I could always find someone to work for me on Friday...

8. Jun 11, 2008 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I always sleep through the fair.... I say we meet up on Sunday. That's usually the day I wake up and say to myself; "It's time to go home now. Poopedy poop poop poop."

9. Jun 12, 2008 #8

Tsu

Gold Member

OK. Sunday it is! But you'd better NOT be sleeping through THIS fair, OmCheeto.
    altho I DO have my ways of keeping folks awake...:biggrin:

10. Jun 12, 2008 #9
    Hey, make a thing at the da Vinci days too! Is OCF this early? Cause my dad and I are coming up to Oregon for 3 weeks in July. We could give you a ride for part of the way Om...

11. Jun 12, 2008 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

I like da Vinci days. :biggrin:
    http://www.davinci-days.org/
    Especially if the Austin City Lounge Lizards are there singing "Life is Hard - But Life Is Harder When You're Dumb"

Where are you coming FROM binzing and what dates will you be here? DaVinci Days are the weekend AFTER OCF.

12. Jun 12, 2008 #11
    Yeah, I just looked it up. My dad and I are from New Mexico, but he grew up in Curvallis, and we have lots of family and friends there and all over the Northwest. We'll be there for the last three weeks of July.

13. Jun 12, 2008 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member

No thank you. I was just kidding about the bike ride and carpooling. Unless of course anyone else needs a ride.

I rode with my hippie friends in 2006. They left me at the fair...... :cry:

Fortunately our campground was only 26 miles away and I only had to walk 23 of those before they picked me up. Never trust a hippie.

The trek wasn't all bad. About 3am, as I was plotting their deaths, god tapped me on the shoulder and said; "Remember Job......".

What could I do? Not forgive them? I mean, it wasn't like I'd gone blind and had horrid boils or anything.

Last year, just to show that there were no hard feelings, I made a google earth, mini Bhutan death march T-shirt, highlighted in red of course, symbolizing the trail of OM-blood! :devil:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure they've forgiven me for that. :rolleyes: o:)

14. Jun 12, 2008 #13
    Really though, we'll be around Corvallis and Philomath for a good part of our time there, wouldn't be a problem to take you down to there, we prolly know someone else who could give you a ride the rest of the way. Might have to share the back seat of my dad's Saab 900 with our friendly dog Foxy, but hey, free transport...

15. Jun 13, 2008 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Does your dad have a trailer hitch. I usually take a boat load of stuff(literally). I camp for 4 days, so I take a large cooler for all the beer and tequila and food(that I never eat because I stuff myself at the fair), tent, sleeping gear, 2 solar panels, 70 lb deep cycle battery, 150 lbs of firewood, 42 changes of clothes(I should'a been born a woman), 100 lbs of trinkets collected over the last 20 trips to the fair, and, um, snacks of course.

And as far as meeting at the fair, I'll be there all three days. Just look for a little old pudgy grey haired man in tie dye.

16. Jun 13, 2008 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:...like you'll be the only one there who meets that description...! Maybe you should fly a PF flag over your campsite!

17. Jun 13, 2008 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member

We have a flag?

18. Jun 13, 2008 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can come up with one - there are some very creative folks amongst us!

19. Jun 13, 2008 #18
    We should, and then I can put it on a tee shirt and then Ivan or (hopefully by that time) Tsu, would be able to spot me at da Vinci days...

20. Jun 13, 2008 #19
    Oh, and yes Om, we do have a trailer hitch. Dunno if we are gonna be taking one or not though. It's a possibility though, cause my dad is doing some carpentry for my aunt and uncle. Also, about going beyond Corvallis, I might be going down to Junction City to stay with my cousin for a while, so that might work.

21. Jun 14, 2008 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

So (CRAP!) having broken my hip, I will have to wait until next year to go to the fair. Geez. I'm so bummed out. :frown: :cry: This is going to be a bummer summer. I'm going to have to sit in a chair outside and read all summer. Hmmmm... Well, maybe that part isn't too bad. But no gardening, etc. Guess I'll have to call a yard service for a while. Oh well.... Crud.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?