Will Oregon Finally See Some Rain?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: South wind 10 to 15 mph. Sunday Rain...breezy. Highs 55 to 60. South wind 10 to 15 mph. Sunday NightRain...breezy. Lows around 45. South wind 15 mph.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows 35 to 40. Light wind.

Friday
Partly sunny. Highs 55 to 60. Southwest wind 10 mph.
Detail
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Lows around 40. Light wind.

Saturday
Rain likely. Highs 55 to 60. South wind 10 to 15 mph.
Detail
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Lows around 40. South wind 15 mph.

Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Highs around 55.
Detail
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Lows 35 to 40.

Monday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Highs around 55.

Monday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows 35 to 40.

Tuesday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Highs 55 to 60.

Tuesday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows 35 to 40.

Wednesday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Highs 55 to 60.

Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Lows 35 to 40.

Thursday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Highs 55 to 60

Hoping hoping hoping... :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
So what is the difference between showers and rain?

I'm glad Oregon is getting their rain back. We had 3 sunny days in a row here and I feel almost manic in my excitement about it! :biggrin: I'll be happy to send all your rain back to you as quickly as possible!

mattmns said:
So what is the difference between showers and rain?

I think showers are intermittent whereas rain persists for a time. But this calls into question what scattered showers may be. Hmmm. Perhaps no one really knows? :biggrin:

Shower(s)

A descriptor (SH) used to qualify precipitation characterized by the suddenness with which they start and stop, by the rapid changes of intensity, and usually by rapid changes in the appearance of the sky.

Rain
Precipitation that falls to Earth in drops more than 0.5 mm in diameter.

Generally rain is prolonged.

See - http://www.nws.noaa.gov/glossary/

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/noaa/noaa.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The sun was fun while it lasted. I was just about ready to buy all new spring clothes if the sun stuck around any longer! All of my old clothes are starting to get tighter around my waist due to it expanding... :bugeye:

Kerrie said:
All of my old clothes are starting to get tighter around my waist due to it expanding... :bugeye:

Beginning to..um...blossom, are we? :biggrin:

Kerrie said:
The sun was fun while it lasted. I was just about ready to buy all new spring clothes if the sun stuck around any longer! All of my old clothes are starting to get tighter around my waist due to it expanding... :bugeye:

Most of my friends decided maternity clothes were just too awful to wear, so hit the outlet shops and just bought everything a few sizes too big and with elastic waist bands...at least until they got to those last few months where the support panel became more necessary for comfort. Drawstring sweatpants are just the thing when you don't have to go out anywhere. :biggrin:

When/if I get pregnant, that's my plan. Though maternity clothes are getting better looking, it seems so wasteful to spend so much on something you're only going to wear a few months...viva la outlet stores! :biggrin::rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Hoping hoping hoping... :uhh:
Just in time for... Spring break!

Integral said:
Just in time for... Spring break!

:rofl: Hopefully anyone going to school in OR has the sense to plan spring break someplace further south!

So you guys have two seasons up there, right? Cold and rainy? :tongue2:

russ_watters said:

Actually, I think their two seasons are cold and rainy AND just rainy. :tongue:

russ_watters said:
Actually three seasons, warm rainy, chilly rainy, hot dry. We rarely qualify as cold (that being anything significantly below freezing) here. though 40F and raining can feel pretty cold. In a normal year it stops raining in Jun- July and does not start again until Sept-Oct.

One year it stopped raining on June 15th, and started again on July 4th. That was the worst in 15 years. Also, we have seen it down to 5 below 0F [not in hex], but that was also a once in 15 years event so far. We also have many days of beautiful weather all year long. For example, I recall a few Febs, like this one, where the weather was fanstastic nearly all month.

Even in the bad years it's often true: If you don't like the weather in Oregon, wait a few hours.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Lows 40 to 45. Light wind.

Saturday
Rain...breezy. Highs 55 to 60. South wind 10 to 20 mph.
Detail
Saturday Night
Rain...breezy. Lows 45 to 50. South wind 15 to 20 mph.

Sunday
Rain. Highs around 55. South wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 35 mph.
Detail

whewwwww. It looks like I can stop holding my breath. :yuck: Our immediate problem is that we need to do some serious burning in eliminate fire hazards for the real fire season, this summer. It was starting to look like burn season would end anytime and we would be stuck; of course I'm still lame with a screwed up foot! :mad: We have already had two wild fires near Portland which is extremely unusual in March, and the pucker factor is rising daily around here, but it looks like we're off the hook for a time.

You know that it's getting really bad in Oregon when the meteorologists start getting excited about 0.1 inches of rain.

Ivan Seeking said:
whewwwww. It looks like I can stop holding my breath. :yuck: Our immediate problem is that we need to do some serious burning in eliminate fire hazards for the real fire season, this summer. It was starting to look like burn season would end anytime and we would be stuck; of course I'm still lame with a screwed up foot! :mad: We have already had two wild fires near Portland which is extremely unusual in March, and the pucker factor is rising daily around here, but it looks like we're off the hook for a time.

You know that it's getting really bad in Oregon when the meteorologists start getting excited about 0.1 inches of rain.
We are REALLY glad in Arizona to be having all the rain too, and likewise have had great concerns about forest fires. And with regard to being responsible for a fire getting out of control (deer cremation or what have you :smile: ), a person can be given a pretty steep fine here. In another thread, you mentioned signs of global warming possibly being faster than originally thought--what do you think about the large amounts of rain ending drought throughout the West? (I wasn't going to say anything about your foot and being screwed, but I can't resist! :devil: ) Seriously though, I take it you are gimping about alone without Tsu? I have friends in the area--maybe I should tell them to check on you!

We are breaking all sorts of weather records this year. Who knows if this is a fluke or part of a larger trend? It was also determined, or at least it was recently claimed that the deep ocean currents have waned dramatically and beyond anyone's expectations. The global weather systems depend largely on this circulation, so, from what little I know about this, if this ocean current is already significantly affected by GW, or by some other process such as increased solar activity [also suspect as a cause of GW], large fluctuations in weather [from the norm] would be expected.

Well, since this thread was started, we have had seven days with no rain. :rofl: One might say that the drought threat is better now. And it's supposed to pour most of this week.

And did it pour today in Portland...I am eager for the sun to come out and shine!

...maybe in the 80's next week, the man says.

1. Why has Oregon been experiencing a lack of rain?

Oregon has been experiencing a lack of rain due to a high-pressure system that has been sitting over the region, preventing storm systems from moving in. This has created a dry and warm weather pattern.

2. When is Oregon expected to see some rain?

The forecast for rain in Oregon varies depending on location, but generally, the state can expect rain in the fall and winter months. However, this year's forecast predicts that Oregon may see some rain as early as late September.

3. How much rain is Oregon expected to receive?

This can vary greatly depending on location, but overall, the forecast predicts that Oregon may see normal to above normal rainfall this year. However, it is important to note that weather patterns are unpredictable and can change at any time.

4. Will this rain help with current drought conditions?

The rain that Oregon is expected to receive may help with current drought conditions, but it is unlikely to completely alleviate the drought. It will take consistent and significant rainfall over an extended period of time to fully recover from the drought.

5. What should people in Oregon do to prepare for the rain?

People in Oregon should prepare for the rain by making sure their homes and properties are ready for wet weather. This includes cleaning gutters, checking for any leaks or damages, and making sure drainage systems are clear. It is also important to have proper rain gear and to be cautious while driving in wet conditions.