Oregon State University's Physics Program

In summary, when choosing between Oregon State University and the University of Washington, it is important to consider the research opportunities, teaching methods, and career outcomes for graduates in their physics programs. Both universities are likely to be viewed similarly within the physics community, graduate schools, and companies.
Thadis
I have been accepted to both Oregon State University and OSU's Honor College and currently in decision between OSU and the University of Washington. I have been researching about the different physics programs at the schools and from what I have been able to tell UW have a fairly tradition styled Physics program. When I looked at OSU's Physics program I saw that they take an nontraditional approach to teaching physics, or at least for some of the classes. My question is how is OSU's physics programmed viewed by the physics community, grad schools, and companies? Is it viewed any differently than any other schools teaching?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to definitively answer your question without knowing the specifics of each program. In general, however, most physics programs are respected and viewed similarly within the physics community, graduate schools, and companies. The main differences between programs would be the research opportunities available, the teaching methods used, and the career outcomes for graduates. It is important to compare these factors side-by-side when deciding between two universities. It is also recommended that you speak with faculty at both universities to gain more insight into their respective physics programs.

1. What courses are required for the Physics program at Oregon State University?

The Physics program at Oregon State University requires students to complete courses in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. In addition, students must also take courses in mathematics, chemistry, and computer science.

2. Can I specialize in a specific area of physics at Oregon State University?

Yes, Oregon State University offers several specialization options within the Physics program, including astrophysics, biophysics, and materials science. Students can also work with faculty to create a customized specialization based on their interests and career goals.

3. Are there research opportunities for undergraduate students in the Physics program?

Yes, there are many research opportunities available for undergraduate students in the Physics program at Oregon State University. Students can work with faculty on research projects, participate in summer research programs, and even conduct their own independent research projects.

4. What career options are available for graduates of the Physics program at Oregon State University?

Graduates of the Physics program at Oregon State University have a wide range of career options, including positions in research, industry, education, and government. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in physics or related fields.

5. Can I double major in Physics and another subject at Oregon State University?

Yes, it is possible to double major in Physics and another subject at Oregon State University. However, this may require students to carefully plan their course schedules and may take longer to complete. It is recommended to speak with an advisor to determine the best course of action for a double major.