Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oregon sunshine

1. Dec 14, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We almost had a small disaster yesterday. Get this: Going by the book, using good numbers and a known technique for making such estimates, [I have played with this a lot] last night, in our creek that normally carries about 200 gallons per second in heavy flows, we had approximately 1800 gallons per SECOND flowing by. We almost lost the bridge, and my $1000 worth of work this summer is now half way to the pacific ocean. It rained like crazy this week; then it absolutely poured all night and the next day. I woke up to see the water skimming the bottom of the foot bridge which is normally 3 feet above the water in normal flows [20+ feet wideat that point]. This was as much water as I saw moving in the 500 year flood we that we had a few years ago. I was a wreck all day. It would have taken out the bridge, fence, septic line, and four satellite lines. We also would have had no access to the back acreage or any way to build a bridge until next summer. We took some minor damage but not too bad all things considered. Whewwwww!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2003 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

We've had a lot of water here too - in the white form. Snows, sun melts top. Freezes hard. Snows again.. (repeat till disgusted).

Hey I wonder how the Europeans are doing with all that weather they had a while back.

4. Dec 14, 2003 #3
    That's too bad. Stuff's okay here, for now. But my area is growing like crazy and all the black top is altering the atmosphere, we've got an enormous heat bubble around us that is altering how we recieve rain. It's barely noticable yet, but I forsee it getting worse.

5. Dec 14, 2003 #4
    Ivan,

I am surprised, not realizing that sort of thing happened there. I don't wonder that you're a wreck. Take some time to de-stress, sleep, veg out.

(I would have thought Tsunami would have magic powers over water disasters. Go figure.)

-Zooby

6. Dec 15, 2003 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan,
    Good to hear that you have survived so far. Seems that they are predicting more rain for the rest of the week. You are pretty high, does this mean that we have a high snow level? Hopefully it will cool down, and the stuff will not run off the mountains so fast!

I have a bit of a mechanic project going, trying to swap engines in a small pickup. We have been watching the sky and dashing out to work when it looks like we will have a bit of a dry spell (got in 3hrs this afternoon!) Just watched it pour yesterday.

Hey, when we going to get together again?

7. Dec 15, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ya, I was sweating bullets and Tsunami keeps looking out the window and saying "COOL!!!".

the last time I saw her she was straddling a big log and just entering the rapids; with a big bottle of whiskey in one hand and Zooby in the other. I'll let you know when I find 'em.

8. Dec 15, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If this keeps up I will be...oh, you meant above sea level.

I'm only about 400 ft. Usually a low snow level for us is about 1500 ft down to the valley floor [325 ft]. I don't know what its doin up in them thar hills. By the looks of my fence, I would say most of the snow has melted.

How about thurday; by boat or by car at Home Depot for dogs?

PM me with a good time and day. Aside from a trip to the coast one day, I'm in my office the rest of the week; so I only have one day to plan around.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  9. Dec 15, 2003 #8
    What are you talking about?

10. Dec 15, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh, sorry, our newest cat is named Zooby; in honor of zoobyshoe. Now, every day I get to say: "Hey zooby, quit licking your butt!"

11. Dec 15, 2003 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

I can relate!! I lived in Green Bay for four years and THAT was enough snow to last me a LIFETIME!!

12. Dec 15, 2003 #11

Tsu

Gold Member

HEY! Zooby the Cat and I like to shoot the rapids on a log with a bottle of whiskey! You got a problem with that???!!

edit: That's what surfers DO in Oregon in the winter. It's not quite the same, but it's good practice.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  13. Dec 15, 2003 #12
    I still don't get it, do zoobyshoe and Tsunami live in Oregon, or was it just the cats? Then how and why were they holding a bottle of whiskey? Oh never mind, it doesn't matter anyway...

14. Dec 15, 2003 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I hear ya Ivan...I just moved into a new apartment on stilts because there is a small creek that is about 20 yard from our place...but once the oregon sunshine came flooding down (i live just outside of portland myself) that creek had flooded the grounds below the stilts! I was truly amazed at how much water can come from the sky...

btw...WHAT'S WITH ALL THE MENTORS FROM OREGON????

15. Dec 15, 2003 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're just pulling your chain a little here Jonathan.

Tsunami and I are married.

We live in Oregon

Tsunami does not really ride logs in whitewater; nor does she drink whiskey [as far as I know].

16. Dec 15, 2003 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It must be a conspiracy!

17. Dec 15, 2003 #16
    trust no one, and stay away from OREGON!!!!

18. Dec 15, 2003 #17

Tsu

Gold Member

Wise choice...:wink:

19. Dec 16, 2003 #18
    Oh.
    Einsteinian and Ivan, you are right, it is a conspiracy, all of it, and we must trust no one.

Doo-dee-doo-dee-dee-doo-plinkedy-plunkedy-plunck-plunck-plunck
    Doo-dee-doo-dee-wee-woo-plinkedy-plunkedy-plunck-plunck-plunck

20. Dec 16, 2003 #19
    I live here too

Sorry to hear about your castle and land being threatened. I'll be happy if I can afford to pay the new Multnomah County income tax(1.25%). I'm probably one of the surfs/poachers living on your land.

21. Dec 16, 2003 #20

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have noticed that Oregon is pretty well represented in other forums as well. Could be seen as an indication of the high level of computer literacy, or more likely, an indication that there is simply nothing else to do but sit in front of a computer and watch it rain!

I am still amazed to find Ivan is a neighbor, well, on a global scale, 15 - 20mi is nothing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?