Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oregonians, prepare! [just in case they get it right]

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is talk of a record snow fall down to the valley floor, this weekend. Some meteorologists are talking about the possibility of very cold temps, down in the teens, and snow conditions not seen since the early 50s. One model would leave us with about 50" of snow on the ground where we live.

Of course we're talking about predicting Oregon's weather here. :rolleyes: Year after year they promise me all of these wonderful things and they almost never happen. :grumpy:

Not everyone is getting quite that excited, channel 8 is talking about the possibility of a foot of snow up in Portland.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2
    Holy **** !! snow and frost ? my cannabis field in the forest gonna frezze :cry:

4. Jan 3, 2005 #3

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Ivan, i am curious to see any weather event happen close to what happened to one year from today....ice and 6 inches of snow that literally stopped out city for several days...

5. Jan 3, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

YIKES!!!!! I hope you guys stock up on supplies just in case, flashlights, batteries, candles, firewood, necessities.

The weather has been crazy this past year.

6. Jan 3, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh I remember. We were virtually stranded here for a couple of days.

The one extreme model comes from someone with the national weather service. It would leave Portlanders with something like 36" of snow...I think [The numbers were only shown briefly]. Now that would really shut things down for a time. Imagine PDX or the I-5 with 3 feet of snow on the ground. :eek:

Last year they never got it right. I know; I was depending greatly on the weather reports due to frequent trips to a job on the coast. It almost always did something other than they predicted. If you remember, there was a lot of complaining about the failed forecasts last year when the big one hit. So I'm putting on the studded tires but certainly not holding my breath. :wink:

Edit: late post... Yes Evo I agree. It could get ugly, in fact Tsu will be up chopping wood all night. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  7. Jan 3, 2005 #6

Evo

Good deal, a chain saw's good for the big stuff, but you can't beat a good ax for chopping firewood.

If you're really going to get that much snow, make sure Tsu goes outside and shovels at regular intervals, you don't want too much to accumulate, oh, and you'll need to get her up on the roof to knock the snow off, too much and your roof will cave in.

8. Jan 3, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You bet. As you well know, Tsu can shovel it with the best of them... :biggrin:

9. Jan 3, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! I laugh when we get our once a year big snowfall here and people wait until the snow is all on the ground before starting to dig out. I'll come out in the morning, and there's only 2 inches of snow left on my driveway because I cleared the snow as it fell the night before, got a good night's sleep, then shovel the drive while the coffee is still brewing and then listen to the sound of shovels scraping pavement while I'm relaxing in a hot bath. I even shovel my neighbor's sidewalk for her (she's in her 80s and has a bad shoulder). I was worried about her this past snowfall, because I was out of town and hadn't had a chance to tell her I'd be away before I left this time (usually I tell her and she watches my house for me). I hope someone helped her with her sidewalk.

Good luck! At least if you get lots of snow, you know pretty much everything will be shut down, so you can just snuggle by the fire for a few days. It's worse to get those borderline amounts of snow that you don't want to leave the house, but you can't really justify skipping work for it.

10. Jan 4, 2005 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Been there, done that! In January of '69 Oregon got hit with a massive snow storm that dumped about 3' of snow in the western vallies. I was in southern Oregon at that time, it was a lot of fun...till I blew the motor in dads jeep!

11. Jan 4, 2005 #10

Evo

How are you guys doing? I am in the middle of a terrible ice storm, I'll trade you for snow.

12. Jan 4, 2005 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

it's very cold but super clear out...i'll take this dry clear cold over the damp rain anyday.

13. Jan 4, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No kidding! The sky is crystal clear and moonless. I was out looking at the stars a little earlier. Often, we don't get to see them much of the year.

Evo, I feel for you. Ice storms are the worst. So far we're fine but the threats from the weather people continue. I haven't seen any more indications of 50" of snow coming, luckily. That would be a bit much even for me. We usually end up getting a few inches at most.

14. Jan 5, 2005 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're freezing here, too, in L.A. Good Lord - it must be 60 degrees outside! brrr!!!

15. Jan 5, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The smog holds the heat. :biggrin:

West, west, west, Texas, ppppppppllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!111111111

edit: oh yes, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

16. Jan 5, 2005 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is interesting in that as cold as it has been the last few mornings there has been no frost. Would imply that the air is very dry, so we are getting an air mass from Canada rather then our usual mositure laden flow from the south and west, ie the Pacific. All this cold air had to do is hit a good stong wet and warm system from the south and things will get nasty in a hurry.

The kids will love, I don't!

17. Jan 5, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The front is coming; its out there. The question is, will it move this far south?

[plays theme from Jaws]

18. Jan 5, 2005 #17

Tsu

Gold Member

Weather Underground predicts rain and snow showers off and on starting Friday and going through Tuesday. Wow!1 We might actually get an ACCUMULATION of snow!!!??? :surprised

Ivan, can I leave for Hawaii NOW???? PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE?????? I do not like cold and snow. I lived in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It snow a LOT there. It sucked.

19. Jan 5, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Okay this is pretend Tsu where she asks me...I don't think I can even type the words...for permission. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Okay I'll play along. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    Sure dear, would you like me to load the car?

Tsu is heading to Hawaii soon!!! She really hates it there. :yuck:

20. Jan 5, 2005 #19

Tsu

Gold Member

That would be nice. :shy: Give me about 2 seconds to pack a bag . . there, I'm ready. Let's go! :biggrin: Let me know how much snow you get! Oh, yeah! Sorry! You'll have to chop your own wood and shovel the snow off the roof yourself this year, dear. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Ohhhh BOY!! I'm gonna be snorkeling and yes, MAYBE even surfing again in a few weeks. :approve: :cool: :cool: At least a little parasailing is in order, I think... :biggrin:

21. Jan 5, 2005 #20

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Oh how I miss snow. I was informed this winter would be bitterly cold. We've had a few frosts, and somewhere in the region of 8 snowflakes. I miss last year, where I went into a field with some friends, and built 2 snowmen as tall as me. While we were doing it, the snow came in so thick we couldn't see any edge of the field. Could have been interesting finding our way back if it kept up & covered our footprints.
    We also never get ice storms in the UK. I want to experience one of those just once.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?