Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oregon's purple tomato

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/app...061020/NEWS/610200323&SearchID=73260872310650

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I read about those, I'd like to try some.

4. Oct 25, 2006 #3

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

now you can get your lycopene in designer colors! lycopene is known for its antioxidant properties, i would imagine that the purple tomatoes have similar cancer fighting nutrients that blueberries have.

5. Oct 25, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Kerrie!!! :surprised :surprised :surprised

We have missed you.

6. Oct 27, 2006 #5
    I just read some stuff about restaurants and food stores having sudden drops in business when they changed their lighting or the color of paint on the walls. It turns out these changes made the food look strange colors. This was especially problematic in the case of meat since we look to its color to gage its freshness.

I wouldn't expect anything purple to taste like a tomato, and would probably not eat it voluntarily.

7. Oct 27, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You remind me of my little brother. As a kid he wouldn't eat ice cream because he didn't like the way it looked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?