Oregon's purple tomato

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Purple could be the color of the future for tomatoes.

Researchers at Oregon State University are fine-tuning a purple tomato with skin as dark as eggplant. The novel pigment not only looks cool but potentially is better for you.

It contains the same phytochemical found in blueberries that is thought to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. [continued]
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061020/NEWS/610200323&SearchID=73260872310650 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
I read about those, I'd like to try some.

Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
now you can get your lycopene in designer colors! lycopene is known for its antioxidant properties, i would imagine that the purple tomatoes have similar cancer fighting nutrients that blueberries have.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi Kerrie!!! :surprised :surprised :surprised

We have missed you.

I just read some stuff about restaurants and food stores having sudden drops in business when they changed their lighting or the color of paint on the walls. It turns out these changes made the food look strange colors. This was especially problematic in the case of meat since we look to its color to gage its freshness.

I wouldn't expect anything purple to taste like a tomato, and would probably not eat it voluntarily.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
I wouldn't expect anything purple to taste like a tomato, and would probably not eat it voluntarily.
You remind me of my little brother. As a kid he wouldn't eat ice cream because he didn't like the way it looked.