Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organ Donation

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    I've setup this thread to discuss organ donation. Tell us of your views on organ donation. Would you donate organs(all of them??)? why? why not? I would really find it helpfull if someone could provide insight into why some people refuse to donate organs. If you are willing to donate your organs, how have you ensured that it will be done after your death? Do you think the spanish system of assuming you are an organ donor unless you fill out a form to opt out off the donation register is ethical??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If someone would need it for own use,i would donate my brain.But i'm sure it will be as useless to them as it is to me...

Daniel.

P.S.And yes,i didn't read you post (and i won't :tongue:),just the title,and i agree:if i had one,i would donate an organ,because me and music are two disjoint nonempty sets...So an organ would be just like my brain:useless to me...

4. Feb 23, 2005 #3
    you're on quite the roll tonight aren't you, Amadeus

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There are several organs of mine I would strenuously object to being donated to anyone, however, with other organs, I have no problems with the idea.

6. Feb 23, 2005 #5
    lol, let me guess it would be okay to donate your liver but you might need your eyes after you are dead? The only organ I would object to having donated would be my appendix.

7. Feb 23, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I don't know what the doctors did with my gangrenous appendix after they cut it off; perhaps they sent it to Africa or something? :confused:

8. Feb 23, 2005 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i am an organ donor, and am willing to donate anything that could help another...what would i do with it once i am dead anyway?

9. Feb 23, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

On a more serious note:
    I certainly share your attitude, Kerrie.
    I think the Spanish way of donorhood by default is no less ethical than non-donorhood by default.
    As long as the individual has the right to choose otherwise than the default option, respect of his rights is ensured.

10. Feb 23, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I am a registered organ donor. Here in the US you can select "organ donor" on your drivers license, which I have.

11. Feb 23, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That's a great way of organizing this!
    I haven't gotten around to register myself as a donor yet (not that I don't understand why I haven't..)

12. Feb 23, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's got organ donation have to do with driving licence...?

Daniel.

P.S.I'm kidding.What if you crash your car into a gas tank and the tank blows up...?What organs would you donate then...?

13. Feb 23, 2005 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The tank rarely blows up in a car crash. That happens regularly only in movies.

14. Feb 23, 2005 #13

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You guys are terribly pessimistic.And weird,too...:bugeye:Thinking about someone might find one's death as a reason to be happy makes me ...(:yuck:)

Daniel.

15. Feb 23, 2005 #14
    Yeah I am an organ donor too. I see no problem with taking anything once I am dead, or with taking anything while I am alive, as long as I can still live normally.

16. Feb 23, 2005 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Without your consent? :wink:

17. Feb 23, 2005 #16
    Well obviously I would like them to ask me first. However, if they can not ask, it would be ok as long as I can still live "normally."

18. Feb 23, 2005 #17
    I have some organs I wouldn't mind getting a little more use while I still have them :tongue2:

I am already a registered donor. Any organ that is usable.

19. Feb 23, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Donate your brain too! Really, they're useful for research. There are brain banks that distribute tissue for neuroscience research. Most people who donate have a neurological disorder and hope their donation will help researchers find a cure, but the problem is, there are very few "normal" people who donate brains, so controls are very difficult to locate.

When I die, give any parts that are useful as transplants for someone else to those people, and donate the rest for research. If my relatives need something to stick in an urn and morbidly display on the fireplace mantel, they can have the fillings from my teeth.

20. Feb 23, 2005 #19

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no neurological disorder/chaos and i'm not planning to...Thanks for the generous advice,MB,but i think i'll keep my brain...locked with a chastity belt...:tongue2:

Daniel.

21. Feb 23, 2005 #20
    So Moonbear, how does one donate their brain?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?