Organ Donation Discussion: Views, Refusals, and Opt-Out Systems

In summary: Daniel.I would donate any usable organs, as long as the individual has the right to choose otherwise.
Hypercase
I've setup this thread to discuss organ donation. Tell us of your views on organ donation. Would you donate organs(all of them??)? why? why not? I would really find it helpfull if someone could provide insight into why some people refuse to donate organs. If you are willing to donate your organs, how have you ensured that it will be done after your death? Do you think the spanish system of assuming you are an organ donor unless you fill out a form to opt out off the donation register is ethical??

Physics news on Phys.org
If someone would need it for own use,i would donate my brain.But I'm sure it will be as useless to them as it is to me...

Daniel.

P.S.And yes,i didn't read you post (and i won't :tongue:),just the title,and i agree:if i had one,i would donate an organ,because me and music are two disjoint nonempty sets...So an organ would be just like my brain:useless to me...

dextercioby said:
If someone would need it for own use,i would donate my brain.But I'm sure it will be as useless to them as it is to me...

Daniel.

P.S.And yes,i didn't read you post (and i won't :tongue:),just the title,and i agree:if i had one,i would donate an organ,because me and music are two disjoint nonempty sets...So an organ would be just like my brain:useless to me...
you're on quite the roll tonight aren't you, Amadeus

There are several organs of mine I would strenuously object to being donated to anyone, however, with other organs, I have no problems with the idea.

arildno said:
There are several organs of mine I would strenuously object to being donated to anyone, however, with other organs, I have no problems with the idea.
lol, let me guess it would be okay to donate your liver but you might need your eyes after you are dead? The only organ I would object to having donated would be my appendix.

I don't know what the doctors did with my gangrenous appendix after they cut it off; perhaps they sent it to Africa or something? :confused:

i am an organ donor, and am willing to donate anything that could help another...what would i do with it once i am dead anyway?

On a more serious note:
I certainly share your attitude, Kerrie.
I think the Spanish way of donorhood by default is no less ethical than non-donorhood by default.
As long as the individual has the right to choose otherwise than the default option, respect of his rights is ensured.

I am a registered organ donor. Here in the US you can select "organ donor" on your drivers license, which I have.

Evo said:
Here in the US you can select "organ donor" on your drivers license, which I have.
That's a great way of organizing this!
I haven't gotten around to register myself as a donor yet (not that I don't understand why I haven't..)

What's got organ donation have to do with driving licence...?

Daniel.

P.S.I'm kidding.What if you crash your car into a gas tank and the tank blows up...?What organs would you donate then...?

The tank rarely blows up in a car crash. That happens regularly only in movies.

You guys are terribly pessimistic.And weird,too...:bugeye:Thinking about someone might find one's death as a reason to be happy makes me ...(:yuck:)

Daniel.

Yeah I am an organ donor too. I see no problem with taking anything once I am dead, or with taking anything while I am alive, as long as I can still live normally.

mattmns said:
or with taking anything while I am alive, as long as I can still live normally.
Without your consent? :wink:

Well obviously I would like them to ask me first. However, if they can not ask, it would be ok as long as I can still live "normally."

I have some organs I wouldn't mind getting a little more use while I still have them :tongue2:

I am already a registered donor. Any organ that is usable.

dextercioby said:

Donate your brain too! Really, they're useful for research. There are brain banks that distribute tissue for neuroscience research. Most people who donate have a neurological disorder and hope their donation will help researchers find a cure, but the problem is, there are very few "normal" people who donate brains, so controls are very difficult to locate.

When I die, give any parts that are useful as transplants for someone else to those people, and donate the rest for research. If my relatives need something to stick in an urn and morbidly display on the fireplace mantel, they can have the fillings from my teeth.

I have no neurological disorder/chaos and I'm not planning to...Thanks for the generous advice,MB,but i think i'll keep my brain...locked with a chastity belt...:tongue2:

Daniel.

So Moonbear, how does one donate their brain?

I have a rather sentimental attachment to my brain.
In addition, what if I donated it as a specimen of a "normal brain", but it ended up in the "exotic brains" department?
That would be embarassing..

It would be really embarassing to end up in the dumpster... :uhh:

(Sorry...o:) )

Daniel.

I'm all up for giving my corpse to medical research. Ever since my best mate got to cut off someone's head with a saw, I've been thinking about this.

Anyone know if you still get paid if you sign up for it while you're alive?

mattmns said:
So Moonbear, how does one donate their brain?
You can arrange with a Medical school or research institute to donate your body for research or study. My dad did that. The school supposedly will give you the ashes of what's left afterwards if you want them. Probably not the same person's ashes, maybe not even human. :bugeye:

Or maybe just some cigarette ash...:tongue2:

Daniel.

well, I'm a bit opposed to organ doning. First i think its pretty gross in general. I wouldn't want a dead persons organ... i wouldn't mind like taking my brothers kidney, he gets one... i get one, we're family, it works. But a dead man's organ... not quite so fond of... i know where my brothers been with that kidney.

secondly, i think its sorta... anti- er... spiritual or something. I'm not super religious by any means. But i do believe in a soul of some sort. and i just don't think your body should be going off doing its own thing while its soul is off doing another. Not so cool in my book.

I don't have anything against other people donating and other people recieving, but i'd really rather stay out of the whole mess of it.

On a different note. I've heard (rumors mind you) that when you put that you're an organ doner on your drivers liscence that if you get in an accident um, let's say, they feel less guilty about letting you die, because at least your organs will be put to use.

Gale17 said:
On a different note. I've heard (rumors mind you) that when you put that you're an organ doner on your drivers liscence that if you get in an accident um, let's say, they feel less guilty about letting you die, because at least your organs will be put to use.
I know for a fact that doctors get ticked off when they find out a person's not an organ donor and will remove some of your organs just to spite you, explaining that they "just couldn't be saved. Sorry Mr Jones, but we had to remove both your legs, one eye and a kidney, the damage was just too extensive. :rofl:

gale, many people are on waiting lists to receive healthy kidneys whose whole lives are dictated by dialysis. think if you were one of those people waiting for a donor so that you could live a healthy normal life. it's just a body part that deteriorates once you die. if you pass on your healthy organs to another, in a way, a part of you continues to live.

they don't just pull out anyone's organs either. the organs must be healthy of course and then compatible with the recipient. and i doubt the rumor you hear is true, otherwise many more lawsuits would be in court.

I'm a registered organ donor. After I'm done with them, they can do what they please with them (provided they don't charge my family for removing the organs - that was kind of a cruel twist in the early days of organ donors).

Just leave enough of my body so I can fulfill one of my after-life desires: Memorial space flights. Launch a small portion of your ashes into orbit, orbit the Earth for a few years where, if you're lucky, the vehicle you were launched on is visible to your descendants periodically, and then, finally, one last flaming tribute as the space vehicle you were launched on re-enters the atmosphere (hopefully burning up completely on re-entry, or at least missing anyone who received any organs you donated - wouldn't that be irony).

Evo said:
You can arrange with a Medical school or research institute to donate your body for research or study. My dad did that. The school supposedly will give you the ashes of what's left afterwards if you want them. Probably not the same person's ashes, maybe not even human. :bugeye:

There are only a handful of "brain banks" around the country that you can arrange to donate your brain to. Not too many people plan for that because they think about transplants to living recipients when they think about organ donation. Body donation to medical schools usually means you're donating your body to be dissected in the gross anatomy labs. While medical students do need to learn about human anatomy, I'm personally more interested in ensuring my body parts go to saving lives through transplants or research purposes (besides, I'd hate to find out there IS an afterlife and look down...or up :uhh:...to see some student I know dissecting my body :eek: :yuck:). I think I'd prefer to get donated as bits and pieces so nobody knows it was me in case they find out something strange.

Our medical school has a memorial ceremony at a local cemetary (one without religious affiliation) every spring to honor the people who donated their bodies, and to bury the cremated remains. I'm not sure how families would get ashes, because I thought all the donors remained anonymous, but maybe they're just anonymous to the students, not to the donation program. You'd think I'd know more about this considering the secretary who handles the paperwork for it used to have the office right across from mine. I do know they hold the ceremony because they announce it to the entire medical school and also invite family members of donors and other members of the community who wish to attend.

Evo said:
I am a registered organ donor. Here in the US you can select "organ donor" on your drivers license, which I have.

Just so folks know, that's not enough to assure you will be an organ donor. They still need final permission from your next of kin, so if you do check that box, make sure whoever would be making decisions about you also knows your wishes and understands and will abide by those wishes. I guess you could always write a clause into your will that if they don't consent to donation if you have useable organs that you'll give their share of the inheritance to the cat or something. :devil: That should get them to comply.

For whoever asked why it would be on a driver's license, that's because it's the most common form of identification held by people in the US, so when they bring you in from the car crash and identify your body based on the DL in your pocket, they also know at the same time you wish to be an organ donor. I haven't checked that box. My sister knows my wishes, which is more important than that checked box, and I don't want anyone to be too over-eager to get my body parts before I'm done with them if they see that box checked and there isn't any family present yet to decide what to do. :bugeye:

Kerrie said:
they don't just pull out anyone's organs either. the organs must be healthy of course and then compatible with the recipient. and i doubt the rumor you hear is true, otherwise many more lawsuits would be in court.

Not sure about that. The dead don't sue. Maybe you'd have upset family members - but they'd have to prove that the doctor was lying.

I see no reason to worry about my body parts after I'm dead - so I've also marked "Organ Donor" on my DL.

There's a funny story by Judy Budnitz about organ donation here (Starts at the 34 minute mark):

http://207.70.82.73/ra/256.ram

Last edited by a moderator:
mattmns said:
Yeah I am an organ donor too. I see no problem with taking anything once I am dead, or with taking anything while I am alive, as long as I can still live normally.

Sure Man ! and logicall, Once I'm dead who the hell cares what they do to my body, they can even make lampshades from my skin if they want, and the rest throw to the dogs.
Guys Remember once you die you stay that way !

Last edited:
There's about 10^{-very much} chance not to happen.

Search under the Poincaré theorem.One of the things that drove poor Boltzmann to suicide.

Daniel.

I am an organ donor on my driver's liscense because it just seems natural to lend a helping hand if possible. And why wouldn't you want to save a person's life if you could, which is exactly what organ donation does? It's on par with giving blood at a blood drive really except you know there will be no adverse effects (because once your dead there's not much they can do about it).
Oh, and to dispell one popular myth: no they're not "more willing" to let you die if you're an organ donor. Think about it now: does that make sense at all seeing as the people in charge of your care are not in any way connected to that entire process/ the person who will end up getting your organs?
And if you want to they can fix up what's left of your body to look normal for funerary purposes. You might not care but your relatives might like such closure.