Is Arrowed Nitrogen in Organic Compounds Acidic or Basic?

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether an arrowed nitrogen is acidic or basic. The conclusion is that it is acidic, due to the resonance effect from the nearby oxygen. The person initially misunderstood the answer, but it was clarified that the nitrogen is a weaker base.
PascalPanther

Homework Statement

11sz4ev.jpg

I'm trying to determine whether the arrowed nitrogen is acidic or basic. Apparently the answer is that it is acidic. I don't really understand how I am suppose to make that call. That nitrogen is part of secondary amine that is basic, with resonance effect from the oxygen that will make it more acidic. However, how do I know that the oxygen has enough effect to make it acidic and not just a very weak base?

Edit: Ahh... read the answer wrong. It didn't say it was acidic, just that it was indeed a weaker base.

Problem solved.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PascalPanther said:
Problem solved.

What is the difference between an acid and basic nitrogen?

An acid nitrogen is a nitrogen atom that is bonded to a hydrogen atom, making it more acidic in nature. Basic nitrogen, on the other hand, is a nitrogen atom that is bonded to an alkyl or aryl group, which makes it more basic.

How are acid and basic nitrogen used in organic compounds?

Acid nitrogen is often used as a proton donor in reactions, while basic nitrogen is used as a proton acceptor. Both types of nitrogen can also act as nucleophiles, attacking electrophilic groups in a reaction.

What are some examples of organic compounds that contain acid or basic nitrogen?

Examples of organic compounds containing acid nitrogen include amino acids, which contain an amino group (basic nitrogen) and a carboxyl group (acid nitrogen). Basic nitrogen can be found in compounds such as amines and amides.

How do acid and basic nitrogen affect the properties of organic compounds?

The presence of acid or basic nitrogen can greatly affect the acidity or basicity of a compound, as well as its reactivity in different types of reactions. It can also influence the solubility and stability of a compound.

Are acid and basic nitrogen harmful to human health?

In general, acid and basic nitrogen are not harmful to human health as they are naturally occurring in many organic compounds. However, some organic compounds that contain these types of nitrogen can have toxic effects if ingested or inhaled in large quantities.