1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chem help

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    I was wondering does bromide react with propanol or propanal at all?

Also, what answers do people get for this question, i say it either propanol or propanal as i don't know if either reacts with bromide and both would be a suitable answer.
    The question is:
    Compound A has a molar mass between 55 and 65 and reacts with Potassium pergamanate to produce product B. However, compound A does not react with bromide. Compound B then reacts with a carbonate to create a colourless gas (most likely carbon dioxide). What is Compound A?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2
  4. Sep 14, 2008 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4
    Yeh but you were asking me if it reacted with bromide, which was the question i was asking at the beginning. I really need help asap if possible. Thanks

6. Sep 14, 2008 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On the other thread you said it should be 'bromine'. The reactivity of bromine and bromide are worlds apart... as would be the answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?