Compound A: Does Bromide React with Propanol or Propanal?

In summary, there is confusion over whether bromide reacts with propanol or propanal. The question at hand is asking for the identity of Compound A, which has a molar mass between 55 and 65 and does not react with bromide. It does, however, react with Potassium pergamanate to produce Compound B, which then reacts with a carbonate to create a colorless gas, possibly carbon dioxide. There is also a discussion about the difference between bromine and bromide and their respective reactivities.
mathsgeek
I was wondering does bromide react with propanol or propanal at all?

Also, what answers do people get for this question, i say it either propanol or propanal as i don't know if either reacts with bromide and both would be a suitable answer.
The question is:
Compound A has a molar mass between 55 and 65 and reacts with Potassium pergamanate to produce product B. However, compound A does not react with bromide. Compound B then reacts with a carbonate to create a colourless gas (most likely carbon dioxide). What is Compound A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any1?

Yeh but you were asking me if it reacted with bromide, which was the question i was asking at the beginning. I really need help asap if possible. Thanks

On the other thread you said it should be 'bromine'. The reactivity of bromine and bromide are worlds apart... as would be the answers.

1. Does Compound A react differently with propanol and propanal?

Yes, Compound A does react differently with propanol and propanal. This is because propanol and propanal have different functional groups, which can result in different chemical reactions with Compound A.

2. How does Compound A react with propanol or propanal?

The reaction between Compound A and propanol or propanal depends on the conditions of the reaction, such as the temperature, concentration, and presence of a catalyst. Generally, Compound A can undergo various types of reactions, including substitution, addition, and elimination reactions, with propanol and propanal.

3. What is the product of the reaction between Compound A and propanol or propanal?

The product of the reaction between Compound A and propanol or propanal will depend on the specific reaction conditions and the functional groups present in both compounds. It could result in the formation of a new compound or the conversion of one compound into another.

4. Is the reaction between Compound A and propanol or propanal exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between Compound A and propanol or propanal can be either exothermic or endothermic, depending on the nature and magnitude of the enthalpy change during the reaction. This can be determined by measuring the temperature change during the reaction.

5. What are the potential applications of the reaction between Compound A and propanol or propanal?

The potential applications of the reaction between Compound A and propanol or propanal could include the production of new compounds with desired properties, the synthesis of pharmaceuticals or chemicals, or the conversion of waste products into useful substances. Further research and experimentation would be needed to fully explore the potential applications of this reaction.