1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry - 1H and 13C NMR Problem. HELP!

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the structure of the compound given the information below

2. Relevant equations
    Molecular Formula:
    C8H6O4

1H NMR:
    1.57 (d, J=8.66 Hz, 1 H) 1.77 (d, J=8.66 Hz, 1 H) 3.51 (d, J=3.00 Hz, 1 H) 3.51 (d, J=3.00 Hz, 1 H) 3.60 (sc,J=7.56, 3.00 Hz, 1 H) 3.60 (sc, J=7.56, 3.00 Hz, 1 H) 6.31 (s, 2 H)

13C NMR:
    46.10 (s, 1 C) 46.10 (s, 1 C) 47.20 (s, 1 C) 47.20 (s, 1 C) 52.80 (s, 1 C) 135.60 (s, 1 C) 135.60 (s, 1 C) 171.50 (s, 1 C) 171.50 (s, 1 C)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, here's what I've been able to figure out thus far:

I decided to first find the degree of unsaturation in this molecule, which comes out as 6.

From that, my first thought was that I could get 4 degrees from a benzene ring, and 2 degrees from 2 carbonyls (somehow) attached to the ring.

Based on the highest signal of the carbon NMR, I know that one of the carbons is going to be some sort of R(CO)X derivative, and thus I won't have any hydroxyls within my final structure.

Given the highest signal on my proton NMR, I figured that there were only going to be 2 symmetrical hydrogen atoms (somewhere) on my ring. Either that, or the remote possibility of putting a CH2 right between two esters. There's also the possibility of having a double end, with one end being attached directly to two esters.

My biggest problem comes from the fact that I have two proton signals in the 1.57-1.77 range, and the 3.51-3.60 range. This tells me that I have some carbons NOT involved in the ring, but at the same time I have carbons that are adjacent to either side of the ester groups.

I've tried designing a few structures, but they always keep falling short of either the molecular formula, the integration of each shift, or the group I tried adding doesn't match with the observed deshielding.

What are your thoughts, guys? All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted