How Do Reactivities Compare in Key Organic Chemistry Compound Pairs?

In summary, the reactivity differences between the given pairs of compounds are as follows: 1. Benzene, with its delocalized electrons, is more reactive towards bromination than phenol, which has an electron-donating -OH group. 2. 1-hexanol and 2-hexanol react differently with chromium trioxide in acid, forming aldehyde and ketone respectively. 3. Ethylamine reacts with dilute HCl to form a salt, while acetamide gets hydrolyzed to an acid. 4. Sodium methoxide and sodium tert-butoxide react differently with 1-bromopropane depending on the reaction conditions, either forming an elimination product or an ether.
sparsh
Discuss the difference in the reactivity between the following pairs of compounds :

1. Benzene and phenol with bromine
2. 1-hexanol and 2-hexanol with chromium trioxide in acid
3. ethylamine and acetamide in dil HCl
4. Sodium methoxide and sodium tert-butoxide with 1- bromopropane

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sparsh said:
Discuss the difference in the reactivity between the following pairs of compounds :

1. Benzene and phenol with bromine

Thanks

Think about what affect the -OH group will have on the benzene ring. Think about the lone pair of electrons on the oxygen and the delocalised electrons in the middle. What is going to happen?

Also give us some ideas of your thoughts or the work you have done on the questions and we can then tell you if you are right or not and help you more.

o:) gema o:)

Well I had worked on these problems : ---

Sorry i knew the1st one. The OH group activates the benzene ring towards EAS and hence bromine will occupy all ortho,m,p positions (in aqeuous medium)

With Chromium trioxide (2nd one) oxidation takes place . So in the 1st aldehyde forms and in the second a ketone. But what will be the difference in the reactivity ?

I have no idea about the 3rd

I think the 3rd one is dehydrohalogenation rxn. Sodium methoxide is a strong base (CH3O-) so there will be Saytzeff rule followed and alkene will form . (Rearrangement can't take place as it is propane and alkene formed even after rearrangement is the same ) . Tertbutoxide is stearically hindered base but should it reduce reactivity ? I wanted something specific in this regard.

Comparing the rates of reactions by theoretical reasoning for some of the reactions below is tricky.

I think , difference in reactivity, only means the differences in the final product.

sparsh said:
Well I had worked on these problems : ---

Sorry i knew the1st one. The OH group activates the benzene ring towards EAS and hence bromine will occupy all ortho,m,p positions (in aqeuous medium)

Yep, that's right. But, I really think that such questions should mention the catalyst (like FeBr3).

sparsh said:
With Chromium trioxide (2nd one) oxidation takes place . So in the 1st aldehyde forms and in the second a ketone. But what will be the difference in the reactivity ?

Yeah, that's right. I think the fact the products are different in each case, is the difference in reactivity.

sparsh said:
I have no idea about the 3rd

Ethylamine will react to give the salt. While, acetamide will get hydrolysed to give an acid.

sparsh said:
I think the 3rd one is dehydrohalogenation rxn. Sodium methoxide is a strong base (CH3O-) so there will be Saytzeff rule followed and alkene will form . (Rearrangement can't take place as it is propane and alkene formed even after rearrangement is the same ) . Tertbutoxide is stearically hindered base but should it reduce reactivity ? I wanted something specific in this regard.

Isn't this the Williamson synthesis of ethers?

For the third one --

Ya can be that as well . But then what do we consider . The elimination product or the ethers ?

It depends on other factors, like the reaction condition, solvent used, etc. So I don't know.

3. ethylamine and acetamide in dil HCl
4. Sodium methoxide and sodium tert-butoxide with 1- bromopropane

4) you probably need to distinguish between an elimination and nucleophilic substitution reaction for this one.

1. What is the difference between organic and inorganic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of carbon-containing compounds, while inorganic chemistry is the study of non-carbon-containing compounds. There are some exceptions, but this is the general distinction between the two branches of chemistry.

2. What are the main topics covered in organic chemistry?

Some main topics covered in organic chemistry include the structure and properties of organic compounds, reactions and mechanisms, and the synthesis and analysis of organic molecules.

3. What are functional groups in organic chemistry?

Functional groups are specific groups of atoms within a molecule that are responsible for the chemical and physical properties of that molecule. Examples of functional groups include alcohols, aldehydes, and carboxylic acids.

4. What are some common challenges in understanding organic chemistry?

One common challenge is the large amount of information and complex reactions involved in organic chemistry. Another challenge is understanding the different types of isomers and their properties. Additionally, the use of three-dimensional models and understanding molecular geometry can be challenging for some students.

5. How can I improve my understanding of organic chemistry?

Some ways to improve understanding of organic chemistry include actively participating in class, practicing problem-solving and reaction mechanisms, and seeking extra help or resources when needed. It can also be helpful to make connections between different concepts and to practice regularly to reinforce understanding.