1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry-Empirical formula problems

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1)After analyzing an organic substance ,it came to this: 29,752% Carbon;5,785%Hydrogen:26,446% Sulpur and 11,57% Sodium.It is also that known that between the Oxygen mass and Sodium mass ,in a mole of substance analyzed,it's a difference of 18 grams.Determinate the molecular formula of the substance.

2) Volume of 0,56 dm3 of a gas hydrocarbon weights in normal conditions 1,45 grams.Knowing that the atomic ratio of the elements of the hydrocarbons is C : H = 2 : 5 fiend the molecular formula of the hydrocarbons.
    A)CH4 B)C2H6 C)C4H10

3) A probe from a organic substance whit the raw(brute) formula CnH2nO who contains 0,6 moles makes in oxidation 79,2 mini grams CO2.Determinate the molecular formula of the organic substance

How i do these problems?

2. Relevant equations

It's the first semester and it's using basic formulas plus it will use the empirical formula to fiend the formula at the end i think

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know how to do it :/ i mean i may know how to begin a little but it may be wrong

Tell me what you dont understand and i shall translate it for you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted