What is Compound A in Reaction with Potassium Permanganate & Bromide?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the reactions of various compounds with bromine and permanganate. Initially, the question is whether bromide reacts with propanol or propanal, and it is suggested that both could be suitable answers. The conversation then shifts to identifying Compound A, which has a molar mass between 55 and 65 and does not react with bromide. It is determined that Compound A reacts with Potassium permanganate to produce Compound B, which then reacts with a carbonate to create a colourless gas, most likely carbon dioxide. The conversation also touches on the reactivity of bromine with alkenes, alkynes, and aldehydes, and whether they react with permanganate or bromine
mathsgeek
I was wondering does bromide react with propanol or propanal at all?

Also, what answers do people get for this question, i say it either propanol or propanal as i don't know if either reacts with bromide and both would be a suitable answer.
The question is:
Compound A has a molar mass between 55 and 65 and reacts with Potassium pergamanate to produce product B. However, compound A does not react with bromide. Compound B then reacts with a carbonate to create a colourless gas (most likely carbon dioxide). What is Compound A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it is bromide, not bromine?

What kind of compounds react easily with bromine?

Yeh its bromine, well i know bromine reacts with alkenes and alkynes but it could possibly react with the propanol in a substitution reaction but i am not certain?

Do alkynes and alkenes react with permanganate? Do alkynes and alkenes react with bromine? Do aldehydes react with permanganate? Bromine?

1. What is Compound A?

Compound A is a chemical substance that is formed when potassium permanganate and bromide react together. It is a product of the reaction and can be identified through various analytical techniques such as spectroscopy.

2. How is Compound A formed?

Compound A is formed through a chemical reaction between potassium permanganate and bromide. This reaction is known as an oxidation-reduction reaction, where the potassium permanganate acts as an oxidizing agent and the bromide acts as a reducing agent.

3. What is the purpose of using potassium permanganate and bromide in this reaction?

The purpose of using potassium permanganate and bromide in this reaction is to produce Compound A. Potassium permanganate is a strong oxidizing agent that can react with the bromide, which is a reducing agent. This results in the formation of Compound A as the product of the reaction.

4. What are the properties of Compound A?

The properties of Compound A can vary depending on the specific reaction conditions. However, it is generally a dark-colored solid with a distinctive odor. It is also a strong oxidizing agent and can be corrosive to certain materials.

5. What are the potential applications of Compound A?

The potential applications of Compound A can vary depending on its chemical properties. It can be used as an oxidizing agent in various chemical reactions, as well as a disinfectant or antiseptic. It may also have applications in industries such as water treatment and pharmaceuticals.