1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry Help

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    I was wondering does bromide react with propanol or propanal at all?

Also, what answers do people get for this question, i say it either propanol or propanal as i don't know if either reacts with bromide and both would be a suitable answer.
    The question is:
    Compound A has a molar mass between 55 and 65 and reacts with Potassium pergamanate to produce product B. However, compound A does not react with bromide. Compound B then reacts with a carbonate to create a colourless gas (most likely carbon dioxide). What is Compound A?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure it is bromide, not bromine?

What kind of compounds react easily with bromine?

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    Yeh its bromine, well i know bromine reacts with alkenes and alkynes but it could possibly react with the propanol in a substitution reaction but i am not certain?

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do alkynes and alkenes react with permanganate? Do alkynes and alkenes react with bromine? Do aldehydes react with permanganate? Bromine?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?