1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic chemistry help

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    organic chemistry help!!!!!

how do i name a pentane with a double bond on one end and triple bond on the other end?

pent-1-ene-4-yne?

if an octane has a double bond on one carbon and a phenyl group on another carbon . which should i start with first, the phenyl or the double bond?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2
    Coumpounds with a double and triple bond take the ending -enyne, and the double bond receives lowest-numbering priority. Can you figure it out now?

Second question: name the phenyl first.

4. Jan 10, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the secind one is x-phenyl-octene.I'm noit sure about the first,though.My first guess would be 4,1-methynpentene,but i'm not sure...

Daniel.

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4
    I do not think you are correct about the first one...let's let the OP take a shot at it. Keep the ending I mentioned earlier in mind.

The second one is correct except no dash b/w the two terms; should be x-phenyloctene, AFAIK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?