• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Organic Chemistry Nomenclature

1. Homework Statement
Provide an acceptable name for the alkane shown below.
upload_2015-1-27_19-45-52.png

2. Homework Equations

N/A

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I never get these right but....my guess would be 2-dimethyl-5-butononane? My reasoning: the longest carbon chain has 9 carbons so the base name would be nonane, there are 2 methyl groups on carbon #2 and 1 butane group in carbon #5. I'm pretty sure this is not right but could someone please point out my mistakes and give me a method as to how to get it right? Thank in advance :)

DrClaude

Mentor
Ah yes, "buto" is definitely not a proper name. Also, I forgot to place the substituents in alphabetical order; Butyl should be written before dimethyl correct? I'm not sure what you mean by the "shape of the side chain". Is it that butyl group is in fact "iso-butyl"? Does this look better? 5-isobutyl-2-dimethylnonane

DrClaude

Mentor
Ah yes, "buto" is definitely not a proper name. Also, I forgot to place the substituents in alphabetical order; Butyl should be written before dimethyl correct? I'm not sure what you mean by the "shape of the side chain". Is it that butyl group is in fact "iso-butyl"? Does this look better? 5-isobutyl-2-dimethylnonane
Almost. Look up the possible butyl groups: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyl

O.k... 5-sec-butyl-2-dimethylnonane is the only other answer that kind of makes sense to me...beyond that I'd just be guessing :confused:. Thanks for the help.