Organic Chemistry Nomenclature

In summary, the correct name for the alkane shown is 5-sec-butyl-2-dimethylnonane. The base name is nonane, with a side chain of 2-dimethyl and a butyl group on carbon #5. The butyl group can also be called isobutyl or sec-butyl. It is important to place the substituents in alphabetical order when naming the compound.
kirsten_2009

Homework Statement

Provide an acceptable name for the alkane shown below.
upload_2015-1-27_19-45-52.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I never get these right but...my guess would be 2-dimethyl-5-butononane? My reasoning: the longest carbon chain has 9 carbons so the base name would be nonane, there are 2 methyl groups on carbon #2 and 1 butane group in carbon #5. I'm pretty sure this is not right but could someone please point out my mistakes and give me a method as to how to get it right? Thank in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
kirsten_2009 said:
2-dimethyl-5-butononane?
First, buto is not a proper name. Second, you have to account for the shape of that side chain.

Ah yes, "buto" is definitely not a proper name. Also, I forgot to place the substituents in alphabetical order; Butyl should be written before dimethyl correct? I'm not sure what you mean by the "shape of the side chain". Is it that butyl group is in fact "iso-butyl"? Does this look better? 5-isobutyl-2-dimethylnonane

kirsten_2009 said:
Ah yes, "buto" is definitely not a proper name. Also, I forgot to place the substituents in alphabetical order; Butyl should be written before dimethyl correct? I'm not sure what you mean by the "shape of the side chain". Is it that butyl group is in fact "iso-butyl"? Does this look better? 5-isobutyl-2-dimethylnonane
Almost. Look up the possible butyl groups: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyl

O.k... 5-sec-butyl-2-dimethylnonane is the only other answer that kind of makes sense to me...beyond that I'd just be guessing :confused:. Thanks for the help.

1. What is organic chemistry nomenclature?

Organic chemistry nomenclature is a system of naming organic compounds based on their molecular structure. This system allows scientists to accurately and unambiguously identify and communicate the chemical composition of a compound.

2. Why is organic chemistry nomenclature important?

Organic chemistry nomenclature is important because it allows for standardized and precise communication in the scientific community. It also helps in identifying and differentiating between different compounds, which is crucial in research and practical applications.

3. How is the IUPAC system used in organic chemistry nomenclature?

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) is the governing body that establishes and maintains the rules for naming organic compounds. The IUPAC system uses a systematic approach to name compounds based on their functional groups, substituents, and parent chain.

4. What are the basic rules for organic chemistry nomenclature?

The basic rules for organic chemistry nomenclature include using the longest continuous carbon chain as the parent chain, numbering the parent chain to give the lowest possible numbers to the substituents, and using prefixes and suffixes to indicate the functional groups present in the compound.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rules of organic chemistry nomenclature?

There are some exceptions to the rules of organic chemistry nomenclature, such as when the compound contains a ring or multiple functional groups. In these cases, the compound may be named using a different set of rules or a combination of both systematic and common names.