1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic chemistry problem

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    • OP warned about not using the homework template
    Say we have a mixture of 10 mL of methane and propane. For a complete combustion, we need 41 mL of O2. Calculate the composition of the mixture in terms of volume, if atmospheric temperature and pressure are constants.

The equations are:
    CH4 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O
    C3H8 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O

I do not understand the question: am I asked to calculate a percentage of volumes, e.g. VCH4/VC3H8, or simply to find the volumes of CH4 and C3H8 separately (if so, how?)? Am I considering the reactives or the products of the reaction? :confused:

These calculations must come in somewhere in the solution:
    I know that all gazes have the same molecular volume at normal temperature and pressure: 22.4L/mol. Therefore I can determine the quantity of moles of each component. In the initial mixture (before reaction), there is:
    0.224mol of CH4 + C3H8
    0.918mol of O2.

Thx. for helping!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want the volume fraction of the initial mixture, (methane/(methane + propane)), or (propane/(methane + propane)).
    This is correct, given the ideal gas constraint.
    Balance these two equations.
    Solve the system of two equations in two unknowns, number of moles ∝ 10 and number of moles ∝ f(41).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted