1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry question

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    Organic Chemistry question!!

How do you write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction that can occur between p-toluidine and hydrochloric acid?? and is benzoic acid a polar or non-polar molecule overall??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

Re: Organic Chemistry question!!

How do you think p-toluidine will react with hydrochloric acid? What type of simple reaction will this be?

Polar/non-polar is not an either/or type of question. There are varying degrees of being polar and non-polar. Overall, benzoic acid lies more toward the polar side compared to most organic substances, but it is not as polar as things like short-chain alcohols and other compounds.

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3

is the reaction an addition reaction??? I'm not sure actually... :(
    and the question asks us to state wheter benzoic acid is polar or not and explain why...

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

p-toluidine contains an amine group. How do amine groups react with acids?

6. Sep 13, 2008 #5

hmm.. don't they combine to make amino acids?? but what would the chemical equation look like?

7. Sep 13, 2008 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

Amine groups are basic. Hence they will react in an acid/base reaction with HCl.

Amino acids are compounds that contain both an amine group and a carboxylic acid group.

8. Sep 13, 2008 #7

sorry i've never learned that reaction... I'm still not sure what the products would be...

9. Sep 13, 2008 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Surely you know how ammonia reacts with acids? For example with hydrochloric acid, giving ammonium chloride? Same happens with amines, proton gets into free electron pair on the nitrogen atom.

This is not type of reaction you expect in organic chemistry, this more like general chemistry or even inorganic, that's why you can't catch it.

10. Sep 14, 2008 #9

so is it CH3C6H4NH2 + HCl -> CH3C6H4NH3+Cl-????????????

11. Sep 14, 2008 #10

Borek

Yes. To make it more readable:

R-NH2 + H+ = R-NH3+

12. Sep 14, 2008 #11

if i write it this way, i don't need to balance the equation?! ... because it asked for a balanced chemical equation...

and also, is benzoic acid a polar or nonpolar molecule?? i know that a part of it is polar and a part of it is nonpolar but the question asked me to state whether it's polar or not and explain why....

13. Sep 14, 2008 #12

Borek

It is balanced. But you must either explicitely write what R stands for, or write full formula of moiety instead.

14. Sep 15, 2008 #13

Ok i see..
    but just one more question..
    I still can't figure out whether to state that benzoic acid is polar or nonpolar...

15. Sep 15, 2008 #14

Borek

Ygg have addressed this question 48 hours ago.

16. Sep 15, 2008 #15

yeah... but i'm still not clear on why it's both polar and nonpolar...

17. Sep 16, 2008 #16

It's polar because of the carboxyl group, but it's not as polar as say formic acid or acetic acid because of the size of the benzene framework. Try and deduce the general dipole moment. Alternatively, go to your computer lab and look up the electrostatic potential map of benzoic acid to see what it looks like.

18. Sep 16, 2008 #17

so the bigger they are, the less polar they are???
    i couldn't find the electrostatic potential map... what does it show?
    is it both polar and nonpolar or do i have to state one or the other?
    Is the overall polarity different from parts of the molecule?

19. Sep 17, 2008 #18

anyone??
    help~~~ T.T
    how do i explain the way benzoic acid is polar and nonpolar???

20. Sep 23, 2008 #19

This is just a guess... But it seems that you are a chemistry student... wait my psychic senses are coming so me.... You're a U of T student..... You are currently enrolled in CHM138.... You are doing the pre-lab questions to experiment #1... getting warmer?? Your lab is next week.... am i right?

21. Sep 23, 2008 #20

You should know that the carboxyl group allows for hydrogen bonding... but if the size of the molecule is very large, the effect of the substituent is reduced since it is MORE nonpolar than polar.. every molecule is polar at some parts and non polar at others.. you just have to guess wether it's overall polarity is high or low..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?