• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

organic chemistry question

• Thread starter KristinaMr
  • Start date
Problem Statement
if we have 1,2-dibromocyclohexene (double bond is between 1 and 2 carbon) and we add H2 over Pt, what is the final product?
Relevant Equations
-
I think that the double bond would be broken in some way but what happens to the two bromines? do they remain in the ring? (or does HBr forms? is it possible?)

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think that the double bond would be broken in some way
In what way, precisely?
what happens to the two bromines? do they remain in the ring? (or does HBr forms? is it possible?)
What do you think happens to them? Keep in mind that platinum is a really really good hydrogenation catalyst.

the double bond breaks because bromines are detached from the ring leaving a place for hydrogens ...so now we are left with a saturated cyclohexane. Is it correct? ...and the two bromines just form Br2 (?)

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
Gold Member
the double bond breaks because bromines are detached from the ring leaving a place for hydrogens ...so now we are left with a saturated cyclohexane. Is it correct? ...and the two bromines just form Br2 (?)
Yes, the product I would expect to get is cyclohexane. I'm not sure I would call that bond breaking, though. Maybe it's a language difference.

thank you :thumbup: