What Happens to Bromines in a Double Bond in Organic Chemistry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of a saturated cyclohexane from a double bond and two bromine atoms. It is mentioned that platinum is a good hydrogenation catalyst and the bromine atoms detach from the ring, leaving room for hydrogen atoms. The product is believed to be cyclohexane and the fate of the two bromine atoms is questioned.
KristinaMr
Homework Statement
if we have 1,2-dibromocyclohexene (double bond is between 1 and 2 carbon) and we add H2 over Pt, what is the final product?
Relevant Equations
-
I think that the double bond would be broken in some way but what happens to the two bromines? do they remain in the ring? (or does HBr forms? is it possible?)

Physics news on Phys.org
KristinaMr said:
I think that the double bond would be broken in some way
In what way, precisely?
KristinaMr said:
what happens to the two bromines? do they remain in the ring? (or does HBr forms? is it possible?)
What do you think happens to them? Keep in mind that platinum is a really really good hydrogenation catalyst.

the double bond breaks because bromines are detached from the ring leaving a place for hydrogens ...so now we are left with a saturated cyclohexane. Is it correct? ...and the two bromines just form Br2 (?)

KristinaMr said:
the double bond breaks because bromines are detached from the ring leaving a place for hydrogens ...so now we are left with a saturated cyclohexane. Is it correct? ...and the two bromines just form Br2 (?)
Yes, the product I would expect to get is cyclohexane. I'm not sure I would call that bond breaking, though. Maybe it's a language difference.

thank you :thumbup:

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of carbon-containing compounds. It involves the study of the structure, properties, reactions, and synthesis of organic molecules.

2. What are some examples of organic compounds?

Examples of organic compounds include carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids, and many other substances found in living organisms. Other examples include plastics, fuels, and pharmaceutical drugs.

3. How is organic chemistry different from inorganic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of carbon-containing compounds, while inorganic chemistry is the study of non-carbon-containing compounds. Additionally, organic compounds tend to have covalent bonds and are often found in living organisms, while inorganic compounds tend to have ionic bonds and are often found in non-living matter.

4. What are some applications of organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry has numerous applications in everyday life, such as in the production of medicines, plastics, fuels, and food additives. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials and technologies in fields such as electronics, agriculture, and environmental science.

5. What are some common reactions studied in organic chemistry?

Some common reactions studied in organic chemistry include substitution, addition, elimination, and oxidation-reduction reactions. These reactions are used to synthesize new organic compounds or modify existing ones.