1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic ion with charge -3

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    image.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't seem to see how an organic ion with charge -3 is formed. I thought an organic ion will always have a charge of -1? Like sodium ethoxide CH3CH2CO-Na+ ?
    I know that Na can only react with alcohols and carboxylic acids, so B and D are probably out, though B has carboxylic acid grp and D has alcohol grp in it..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Why? What is a charge of the anion in disodium oxalate? Trisodium citrate?

You are looking for a compound that has a single proton acidic enough to be neutralized by NaOH, and three protons that can react with Na. You are right about B & D being out.

4. Oct 24, 2015 #3
    -2 and -3 :biggrin: sorry I didn't know about this, now that I've know now...we have to find a compound that has three functional groups that can react with Na right? Which is A or C. But since they say J reacts with NaOH (aq) to produce an organic ion with -1 charge, which means there should only be 1 -COOH grp, so ans. is C
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted