Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Questions

1. Sep 5, 2005 #1
    :shy: Just a few simple questions:

1) What medicinal uses does benzhexol have ?
    (aka (1,2,3,4,5,6)-hexahydroxybenzene! :smile:)

2) What is the melting point of benzhexol?
    *(see the first GIF image thumbnail for structure)

3) What is the melting point of (1,3,5/2,4,6)-hexafluorocyclohexane ?
    *(see the third GIF image thumbnail for structure)-

4) Generally, how would you synthesize benzhexol, scyllitol, and (1,3,5/2,4,6)-hexafluorocyclohexane? What general mechanisms should I use?
    *(see the second GIF image thumbnail for scyllitol structure)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2
    Also just one more question:

5) Is it possible to synthesize "1,2,3,4,5,6-hexahydroxycyclohexane-1,2,3,4,5,6-hexaldehyde"?
    or at least a "benzhexaldehyde" sample?

*Moreover, *Can they even exist!? :redface:

(Basically, a cyclohexane ring w/one hydroxyl group and one aldehyde group bonded to each carbon is what I mean by 1,2,3,4,5,6-hexahydroxycyclohexane-1,2,3,4,5,6-hexaldehyde)
    (see attachments for structure\\/\)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  4. Sep 6, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you might want to get movies' attention, he's an org. chemist (I think a third year grad student at cal tech, or was it berkeley)
  5. Sep 7, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

Well, since GCT mentioned me I guess I have to give some kind of answer. (I'm at Caltech, by the way)

"Benzhexol" should more properly be name "hexahydroxybenzene" so that might help you in your searching. A quick Beilstein search should get you the MP for that compound and hexafluorocyclohexane. You could probably find this info on the MSDS sheet too. For the medicinal purposes, the best way to find out is to google the name. Beilstein should give you some leads on the syntheses too. I haven't really looked into how these particular compounds are made myself though.

That benzhexaldehyde isn't known as far as I can tell, but it seems that the hexacarboxylic acid an various hexaesters are known. The hexahydroxyhexaldehyde cyclohexane compound isn't known either.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?