Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organisms from scratch

1. Nov 14, 2003 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2003 #2
    The article was extremely vague about what they mean by "synthesizing from scratch". Does anyone know what the researchers actually did?

4. Nov 14, 2003 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Scratch" from "commercial" DNA and (inferred by me) a known DNA sequence for an existing/natural virus is equivalent to a complete amateur building an automobile from the blueprints and off-the-shelf parts (edit, insert) without any assembly instructions (end edit) and having it work at all, let alone safely --- not too shabby. The achievement is probably that they got everything to fold, coil, and otherwise configure itself correctly --- not obvious that they actually got it to reproduce itself --- the acid test.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2003
  5. Nov 14, 2003 #4
    Still fuzzy on how they actually made the virus from "commercial DNA" ... did they find a way to make all the proteins from the DNA template without using a living cell to do any of the work?

6. Nov 14, 2003 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

They had DNA fragments, and there now exist devices capable of hooking the fragments together chemically in the right order. Since this is just a virus, the DNA if valid should by itself create the proteins. I emphasize that this only works for viruses.

Years ago an experiment was done in which a virus was dissociated in one test tube, the DNA extracted by centrifuge and inserted into another test tube which had a sterile solution of the amino acids required. The DNA quickly assembled an active virus in this strile environment. See the grand old book "The Eighth Day of Creation" for a throrough account of the early days of molecular biology.

This virus achievement is a way station of the Ventner team's progress toward their ultimate goal, to replace the DNA in a bacterial cell with different DNA of their own manufacture, thus (hopefully) creating a new, engineered, species of bacteria. That will be a bigger job than the virus.

7. Nov 14, 2003 #6
    Well, not by itself. They still put the artificially-spliced DNA into the environment of a cell to translate it into proteins, right?

8. Nov 14, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't had the time to look at it myself, but this is from an email someone had sent to me: Cool: The first viral genome to be totally synthesized in the lab was announced by Venter et al.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20031113/D7UPU6G85.html

Roughly 3 decades ago, Arthur Kornberg synthesized an active viral genome using purified DNA polymerase and purified viral DNA as template, work for which he was awarded the Nobel prize. In the new work by Venter et al., they synthesized an active viral genome without using a prior existing template (but using a known DNA sequence). This is proof of concept for the synthesis of a completely artificial living organism.

9. Nov 14, 2003 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

J. Craig Venter! The same one whole sequenced the human genome :)

*edit*: et. al. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?