1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organometallic Reactions

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write an equation showing how benzoic acid would react with phenylmagnesium bromide.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not quite sure where to start first with this Reaction. I haven't seen a Organometallic + acid reaction before. I realize that i have an acidic hydrogen but what would be the first step? would an ether result!? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks pf! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Magnesium and bromide in organic chemistry means only one type of reaction. Actually just googling for reactions of phenylmagnesium bromide gives name of the reaction between first hits. You should really try harder before asking.

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    I know borek, thank you. It gives you the (preparation) reaction mechanism to form phenyl magnesium bromide from bromobenzene and magnesium metal which i understand. It also shows the mechanism to form triphenylmethonal with phenyl magnesium bromide which i also understand. But neither of those reactions use benzoic acid and that is what is throwing me off

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Phenyl magnesium bromide is a Grignard reagent - have you heard that name?

What is a common use of Grignard reagents?

Why is it of no use here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted