Orientation preserving and determinants

In summary, to prove that a 3x3 matrix A is orientation preserving, we can use the fact that det(A)>0. Similarly, to prove that for matrices A and B, both 3x3, det(AB)=detA*detB, we can expand the matrices and cancel terms to show their equality. Another approach is to first prove it for elementary matrices and then show that any invertible matrix is the product of elementary matrices.
JSG31883
Can someone help me prove two theorems? I know they both are true, but can't come up with proofs.

1) Prove that a 3x3 matrix A is orientation preserving iff det(A)>0.

2) Prove that for A, B (both 3x3 matrices) that det(AB)=detA*detB. (A, B may or may not be invertible).

THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure about this one. Let (v w x) be the 3x3 matrix with vectors v, w, and x as columns.

A is orientation preserving

if and only if

det (Av Aw Ax) > 0 iff det (v w x) > 0

if and only if

det (A(v w x)) > 0 iff det (v w x) > 0

if and only if

det(A)det(v w x) > 0 iff det (v w x) > 0 (using number 2. which you need to prove)

if and only if

det(A) > 0

2. I can't think of an easy way to do it, but if you actually expand it out in full, you will be able to show it.

for 2) how can I expand it out? You say if I expand it out I will be able to show it...

Take two general matrices, for example, take A to be:

(a11 a12 a13)
(a21 a22 a23)
(a31 a32 a33)

and B to be something similar. Actually compute the product AB and then compute it's determinant, and similarly compute the determinants |A| and |B|, then their product. You'll get some big, long, ugly expressions, but you'll be able to cancel them to show that they're equal.

Expanding out 2) will be disgusting (but would certainly work). Another way is to first prove it for elementary matrices, then show that any invertible matrix is the product of elementary matrices and you've pretty much handled the invertible case. A or B non-invertible is easier, assuming you know non-invertible<=>determinant is zero (or can prove this).

What is orientation preserving?

Orientation preserving refers to a transformation that does not reverse the orientation of objects in a given space. This means that the relative positions of objects and their orientations remain the same before and after the transformation.

What is an example of an orientation preserving transformation?

A rotation in a two-dimensional plane is an example of an orientation preserving transformation. This is because the relative positions and orientations of objects in the plane remain unchanged after the rotation.

What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical concept that is used to describe the relationship between a set of input values and the resulting output values in a linear transformation. It is represented by a single number and can be used to determine whether a transformation is orientation preserving or not.

How is the determinant used to determine orientation preservation?

The determinant of a transformation matrix is used to determine its orientation preserving nature. If the determinant is positive, the transformation is orientation preserving. If it is negative, the transformation is orientation reversing.

What are some applications of orientation preserving transformations and determinants?

Orientation preserving transformations and determinants are used in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They are also essential in understanding and solving problems in differential geometry and topology.