Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orifice calculations

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    Hi there,

I have used an orifice for my project to measure the pressure difference and hence the mass flow rate of air going through a pipe of 26 mm diameter. i kept changing the flow from max to min and ended up with values of pressure diference. The questions here is how to convert thses values ( in meters) into mass flow rate (kg/s) ?? I tried to find equations for this but they have the coefficient of discharge involved and i cannot find this value !! can any one help me on this plz ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

If it is a square or sharp edged orifice, the starting point for Cd is 0.6.
  4. Apr 15, 2007 #3
    thanx a lote , can plz post the equation to find the mass flow rate here and explain its parameters and variables ?
  5. Apr 15, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

This will give you volumetric flow rate, but I am assuming that you can calculate mass flow from there.

By the way, for anyone else interested, this reference gives the polynomial expression for calculating Cd based mostly on beta ratio and Re. This is referenced in the ASME spec on orifice calculations. I haven't found it stated anywhere else yet. It's a nice piece of information.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?