Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Origin of matter

1. Nov 30, 2003 #1
    Is there any theory offering an explination as to the origin of all matter? I'm not talking about the big bang, but where the matter which went bang originiated from.

And I know the one theory about 10 dimensions and all the matter going into 4 and the others collapsing, but I'm more looking for how it was created.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2003 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is lots of speculation, like it was there all the time, oscillating universes, mutiple universes, etc. But be careful - it is all guessing now.

4. Dec 1, 2003 #3
    Shortly after Big Bang existed a quark-gluon plasma, that is, quarks and gluons wandering freely. Then occurred what is called the QCD phase transition, is a first-order phase transition where quarks and gluons joined to form hadrons

5. Dec 1, 2003 #4

hellfire

Science Advisor

The current explanation for the origin of matter is given by inflation. There was (an instant after big-bang) a scalar field (inflaton) which accumulated energy due to its constant energy density (and due to an exponential expansion of space). This energy was taken from the gravitational potential and was transferred to the matter fields during a process called reheating. My understanding of the whole thing is only qualitative, may be someone could confirm or elaborate.

6. Dec 1, 2003 #5
    To restate my question more clearly:
    Where did the material/energy which went "bang" in the big bang come from?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  7. Dec 1, 2003 #6

Eh

Why would it need to come from anywhere? Maybe it was always there.

8. Dec 1, 2003 #7
    That's just a lazy answer, with that logic no one would have ever thought of the big bang theory or evolution.

9. Dec 1, 2003 #8
    It's not a lazy answer; in fact, there are theories in which the universe is eternal. One can debate why the laws of physics have matter and radiation fields to begin with, but that's not necessarily a question that science can answer.

10. Dec 2, 2003 #9

Eh

This ignores the fact that something in nature may be fundemental, and as such could not have been created by something else prior. Energy may be a fundemental property of the universe, and if so the question is moot. If you must insist that the physical universe must have been created, then you're looking at an infinite regress of causes or some grand metaphysical speculations, at which point you're no longer asking scientific questions.

The big bang on the other hand, has nothing to do with such speculation. The theory was derived from GR and observational evidence. IOW, that the universe emerged from a hot dense state in the past has nothing to do with whether or not energy has always been around.

11. Dec 2, 2003 #10

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's one of the biggest unknowns in science. Try looking into things like Inflation theory, M-theory, etc. for some of the latest thoughts on that.

12. Dec 2, 2003 #11
    Although you will likely not be happy with any answer given - I shall put one forth anyway.

First off - I believe there was no big to buttress the bang. The material of the universe came from nothing, or better yet - It is nothing. Go figer.

Funny part about this ..... is that I'm serious.

13. Dec 3, 2003 #12
    Lets say you are seeking the "for how it was created"..then would you be interested in 'back-engineering' it for destruction purpose's? lets say if you got out of bed the wrong side one morning, or had a minor disagreement with some unsuspecting Human, would not you be able to 'dictate' your every COMMAND?

Behind every Question is an Answer, behind every Person asking questions is a reason..

14. Dec 5, 2003 #13
    Perhaps you would like to read about Loop quantum Cosmology. In this theory, there was a contraction phase of the universe prior to the Big bang, and is possible that matter existed in this prior phase

15. Dec 6, 2003 #14
    Somehow, within a fraction of a nanosecond after the big bang, matter gained the upper hand. Physicists believe subtle differences in the behavior of matter and antimatter led to a slight excess of matter in the very early universe. While most of the matter and antimatter created in the big bang quickly disappeared in a blaze of mutual annihilation, about one out of every billion particles of matter survived. So to answer your question or at least my opinion matter was already existant.

16. Dec 6, 2003 #15
    The Pre-Big Bang Scenario in string cosmology also postulates the existance of the universe prior to the Big Bang, so in this case matter could also exist before Big Bang

17. Dec 13, 2003 #16

ALS

So matter and anti-matter existed together?

18. Dec 13, 2003 #17
    They exist together even now. It's possible to observe things like charmonium (a charm quark-anticharm quark pair) or bottonium (a bottom quark-antibottom quark pair)

19. Dec 13, 2003 #18

ALS

If the space between them decides whether they cancel each other out, then how does that play when essentially there is none, per The Big Bang?

20. Dec 22, 2003 #19
    There are various theories that explain the prevalence of matter over antimatter, for example, consider SU(5) GUT. SU(5) GUT is a Grand unified theory, and in this theory, matter and antimatter appear as a consequence of the decay of two hypothetical particles, the X-boson and the anti-X boson. It is postulated that in between 10-35 s. and 10-12s. after Big Bang this two particles underwent radioactive decay in an antisymmetric way. This created more quantity of matter than antimatter as decay products

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  21. Dec 24, 2003 #20
    I will give you an answer that you aren't likely to get from any other individual here.

Let the universe be nothing but particles in the vaccum.

Now by definition, a point particle cannot be created and cannot be destroyed. Let the number of point particles at the beginning of time be denoted by N. The number of point particles at every moment in time from the beginning up to the present, was N. Thus, the derivative of N with respect to t is zero, that is

dN/dt = 0

Thus, point particles can only move relative to one another.

So then if the point particle model of the universe is the actual model, then the answer to your question is that the basic units of all larger material bodies did not ever come into existence, rather they were always there, from the first moment in time, right up to now.

Point particles have no parts, they cannot be created, nor can they be destroyed. The question then is, are point particles real entities, do they exist?

They would have no volume, and so it is difficult to imagine how two point particles could ever collide. But at the very least, the point particle model of the universe, models everything as some kind of huge point particle gas, and in certain regions of space, the gas is very dense, and forms large bodies of matter, including suns. It's just a model.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?