Origin of Modern Domesticated Horses Found

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Origin
In summary, scientists have identified an area in western Eurasian steppe where the predecessors of modern horses came from. The first domestication of horses (DOM1) occurred further east, at about 5,500 years ago.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Using genomics on DNA collected from ancient horses that lived between 2,000 and 10,000 years ago, scientists have identified an area in western Eurasian steppe where the predecessors of modern horses came from.
Science mag News article here.
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 2.00.04 PM.png

This is the second domestication of horses (DOM2) at about 4,200 years ago. The first domestication (DOM1), by the Botai, occurred further east, at about 5,500 years ago. Although there is evidence of the earlier horses having had bits in their mouths (from teeth ware), these are not the noble steeds of today's cowboys. Genetically, they are closely related to Przewalski's horse, a different species of now endangered wild horses. Its hypothesized that they were mostly herded for food and milk.

Genomic analysis indicates that two mutations might have been useful in their domestication. One is involved in controlling anxiety and aggression and the other maybe involved in having stronger backs.
The DOM1 animals did not have these mutations, and thus did not prosper in domestication.
Along similar lines, one might wonder why zebras were not domesticated, since they undoubtedly have a very long human adjacent history. Zebras have a reputation of being really nasty animals to try to handle. Very aggressive, with a reputation for biting and not letting go.

Last edited:
Likes BWV, jedishrfu, pinball1970 and 4 others
Biology news on Phys.org
Bottom line, they are Russian which explains why they run so fast as they’re rushin around.

May be out of date now, but enjoyed this book and it discussed some of the issues - the transition from horses as dairy / meat animals to riding. The Botai culture were not thought to be PIE (proto-Indoeuropean) speakers, as were the Yamnaya

417UKyEfy3L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Likes BillTre and jedishrfu
Ware is pottery, wear is erosion.

Likes BillTre
And weather or not where is here, there, everywhere or know where?

• Haha
Likes BillTre
I had guessed zebras were not domesticated because they fall apart under stress.
200420-zebra.jpg

• Haha
Likes BillTre
When I was a lot younger I had a book entitled something like 'Horses, how they came to be'. I'm sure it's around yet and I'm sure I can find it. If anyone here followed a post of mine from previously in the day you'll find something else I hung onto from my youth. Lol. You'll probably get the idea I don't toss much. Anyway, my point is that I'm wondering if the book from 40 to 45 years ago agrees with what we know today.

1. What is the significance of the discovery of the origin of modern domesticated horses?

The discovery of the origin of modern domesticated horses is significant because it sheds light on the history and evolution of one of the most important and influential animals in human history. It also provides insight into the development of human civilization and the role that horses played in it.

2. How was the origin of modern domesticated horses found?

The origin of modern domesticated horses was found through a combination of genetic analysis and archaeological evidence. Scientists studied the DNA of ancient horse remains and compared them to the DNA of modern domesticated horses to trace their evolutionary history. They also examined archaeological sites and artifacts to determine when and where horses were first domesticated.

3. Where and when were modern domesticated horses first domesticated?

Based on the genetic and archaeological evidence, modern domesticated horses were first domesticated in the Eurasian Steppe region around 5,500 years ago. This area includes parts of modern-day Ukraine, Russia, and Kazakhstan. This is also where the Botai culture, known for their early domestication of horses, existed.

4. What was the role of horses in human history?

Horses have played a crucial role in human history, serving as transportation, labor, and companionship. They allowed for the development of agriculture, trade, and warfare, and have been an integral part of many cultures and societies. Horses also played a significant role in the exploration and colonization of new lands.

5. How does this discovery impact our understanding of horse domestication?

This discovery greatly enhances our understanding of horse domestication by providing concrete evidence of when and where it occurred. It also challenges previous theories and assumptions about the domestication of horses, such as the idea that it happened in multiple locations simultaneously. This discovery allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the relationship between humans and horses throughout history.