Origin of Planets: How Was Our Planet Formed?

In summary, the origin of planets is believed to occur when a nebula collapses and forms a cloud disk. From this cloud disk, particles and elements begin to interact gravitationally and form a star at the center. The remaining materials in the cloud disk then begin to clump together and form planets, with the terrestrial planets being formed from rocky, dense elements and the gas giants being formed from ice particles and hydrogen/helium. The frost line, which coincides with Jupiter's orbit, marks the distance at which the temperature is low enough for these materials to condense and form planets. There is ongoing debate about the exact mechanisms of planet formation, but the general process involves the collapse of a nebula and the interaction of particles and elements
crays
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this topic fits here, but can anyone tell me about the origin of planets? Like how is our planet formed?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
crays said:
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this topic fits here, but can anyone tell me about the origin of planets? Like how is our planet formed?

I'm not the best person for this stuff but I'll take a stab at it anyways. I'm pretty sure this is the mainstream account of planet formation.

When a nebula collapses due to some sort of nearby disturbance it creates a cloud disk. This cloud disk of a bunch of particles/elements after quite a bit of time through the gravitational interaction of the particles/elements will form a star.

In other parts of the cloud disk gravity is using materials not going to the star to form planets through the same gravitational interaction. The terrestrial planets were formed from rocky dense elements. These elements mostly form the core of the terrestrial planets (cause they are heavier so they traveled further into the clump of particles.)

The gas giants were made the same way difference being is that in the outer solar system icey particles/elements were around in larger quantities. They formed the cores of the outer planets... and since there is a lot of hydrogen/helium out there too they cause the planets to continue to grow. (Pretty much the same as the stars formation) Jupiter and Saturn are composed of large quantities of hydrogen/helium and Neptune/Uranus are composed of large quantities of the icy particles from before.

The moons are probably formed around the same time or possibly they are captured bodies that were floating around.

Anyways I hope what I've posted helps you, you should probably wait for one of the more knowledgeable people around PF to give it an approval stamp or make alterations to it. :smile:

Solar winds from the newborn Sun pushed the lighter stuff out leaving all the terrestrial rocky planets and the gas giants outside. But its essentially collections of stuff that clumped together.

Thanks for the reply, was informative :). Also from what i know, all matter has a slight gravitational pull toward itself right?

I think "toward itself" is misleading. All matter has a slight gravitational pull toward other matter.

Thanks for correcting.

The elements that make up the icy outer planets would evaporate under the heat of the sun and therefore can't make solid planets. These were instead transported outwards by various mechanisms.

The distance at which the temperature is low enough for the ejected material to condensate is called the "frost line" and coincides, not accidentally, with Jupiter's orbit. Once they condensate they will start to lump together and form planets.

HallsofIvy said:
I think "toward itself" is misleading. All matter has a slight gravitational pull toward other matter.

The forces go both ways. Depends on one's chosen point-of-view.

Jame said:
The elements that make up the icy outer planets would evaporate under the heat of the sun and therefore can't make solid planets. These were instead transported outwards by various mechanisms.

Ah, no. They condensed from gas phase wherever it was cold enough onto the already solid dust. Most of the condensation happened in the pre-solar nebula. Once the sun began forming a central mass, the nebula dust/ice collapsed into its rotational plane, then began forming clumps under the influence of the ambient gas and its own gravity. Between the size-range of dust and planetoids there's a lot of unknowns, but basically the cores of the gas giants formed objects much like gigantic, icy versions of Earth, then their gravity pulled in a lot of additional gas from the nebula. This happened pretty quickly for Jupiter and Saturn, but not quick enough for Uranus and Neptune, since they're only a small fraction hydrogen/helium.

The distance at which the temperature is low enough for the ejected material to condensate[sic] is called the "frost line" and coincides, not accidentally, with Jupiter's orbit. Once they condensate[sic] they will start to lump together and form planets.

More or less what I said. But without any "ejection". The Sun began "ejecting" a very heavy solar-wind in its T-Tauri phase, which blew away the Hydrogen/Helium gas, but this happened after the cores of the gas giants had formed.

1. How did the Earth form?

The Earth formed approximately 4.5 billion years ago through a process called accretion. This involved the gradual accumulation of dust and gas particles in a disk around the young sun, which eventually formed into larger bodies like planets.

2. What were the main components of the early Earth?

The early Earth was primarily composed of molten rock and metal due to the high temperatures during its formation. As the Earth cooled, heavier materials sank to the center, forming the core, while lighter materials rose to the surface, forming the crust.

3. How did the Moon form?

The most widely accepted theory for the formation of the Moon is the "Giant Impact Hypothesis." This proposes that a Mars-sized object collided with the early Earth, sending debris into orbit which eventually coalesced to form the Moon.

4. What role did water play in the formation of the Earth?

Water likely arrived on Earth through comets and asteroids during the early stages of the solar system's formation. It then became trapped in the Earth's mantle and was later released through volcanic activity, forming the oceans.

5. How do scientists study the origin of planets?

Scientists study the origin of planets through a combination of observational data, computer simulations, and laboratory experiments. By studying other planets in our solar system and beyond, as well as analyzing meteorites and other space debris, they can piece together the processes that led to the formation of our own planet.