Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Origin of the elements

1. Aug 14, 2012 #1
    By choosing among the following five options, what is the main source in the universe for the origin of the elements : silicon, lithium, bismuth, nickel and uranium?

Primordial nucleosynthesis – fusion in core of low-mass stars – fusion in core of high-mass stars – slow neutron capture in high mass-stars - rapid neutron capture in supernovae.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Homework questions should be posted in the appropriate homework forum. Please show whatever work you have done so far and explain where you get lost.

4. Aug 15, 2012 #3
    Sorry, next time I will choose the right forum.
    The following is what I think is the right answer but I'd like to be confirmed.

silicon = Fusion in core of low-mass star
    lithium = Primordial nucleosynthesis
    bismuth = Low neutron capture in high mass-stars
    nickel = Fusion in core of low-mass star
    uranium = Rapid neutron capture in supernovae

Thanks!

5. Aug 15, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

For nickel I think you mean fusion in the core of a HIGH mass star. Also, isn't silicon one of the last elements produced in high mass stars and not low mass stars? I'm not formally educated in astrophysics so I could be wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook