Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Origin of the fresnel effect

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    I work in computer graphics so I use and am familiar with the fresnel equations governing reflections from conductors and dielectrics. My question is about the origin of these effects. As I understand it, the fresnel equations describe the 'average' result of myriad individual photon-material interactions, so what decides (at a quantum level I guess) whether an individual photon is reflected, transmitted or absorbed?

Also am I right in thinking that each photon 'carries' a particular frequency of light with it, such that a particular colour of light is generated by the number of photons with each different frequency?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

What decides the fate of an individual photon is chance. [Of course, is photons impinge on surfaces with different properties, some have better chances than others]

This is the modern view of quantum mechanics. The subject was heavily debated for the first half-century of QM, but now consensus is (almost) universal. Some very convincing experiments tell that only chance decides - there can be no "hidden parameter" unknown to us but attached to the particle that decides its fate.

Keywords : EPR Einstein Podolsky Rosen, and also Alain Aspect and several more.
  4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    ok sure I know that it's chance, I'm asking what decides the probabilities that go into the "dice roll"
  5. Nov 11, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

The Fresnel equations follow from the boundary condition on the E,D,,B,H fields of a classical EM wave. This is treated in most advanced EM texts, and many optical texts.
    For a single photon, the resulting reflection and transmission coefficients are probabilities for reflection and transmission of a single photon.

You are right about each photon carrying a particular frequency.
  6. Nov 12, 2008 #5
    Ok, thanks, but that's a little opaque. Is there any way to understand it in physical terms? What is it about the fact that metals conduct electricity that causes them to absorb a large part of the spectrum while dielectrics absorb very little?
  7. Nov 12, 2008 #6
    It is a solid state matter...

have you ever heard about conduction bands or something like this?

see Bloch and Fermi theory of bands. It is a quantum mechenical thoeory that can asnwer your questions about metals and dieletric.

About the photons:

yes they, as all the particles, have a frequencies... but it is not well known since you hit with heisenberg principle...what you actually see in experiments are distributions of frequanciese spread over a range ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?