Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Origin of the Universe

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    -Bearing in mind i ask this based on a theory of the big bang.

Could all existant matter have been packed into a single atom of infinite energy levels, meaning as the universe 'expands' it is actually losing energy and will eventually be infinitly large and contain no energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2
    oh and a further thought, on the same train of thought...
    Does this mean that there is a maximum possible age to the universe based on the ratio of energy loss from the bigbang - till now - till the energy the universe (as a mass entity) contains is = to 0?. Does this mean the universe will 'live' forever?

4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    crap....

I need to read some stuff then i might change what im confused about - BTW im no physicist or anything, just a student so there are most definitly a lot of things i am clueless of that will make my suggestion ludacrous or even moronic to the poeple of this forum =D

5. Sep 10, 2006 #4
    Not without energy but the "absense" of energy. It would be nothing and something at the same time but not in the same spot all at the same time and everything.

6. Sep 10, 2006 #5
    I bet right now, someone with an expansive knowledge is thinking 'haha this newbie has no idea' and thats the truth, im just thinking - Put some Theoratical law into this which makes my idea impossible

7. Sep 10, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would the fact that the universe 'expands' mean that it loses energy? The "energy density" would decrease but the total energy remain the same.

8. Sep 10, 2006 #7
    Do you have any retorts or are you really a newb?

I have my ideas do you have yours?

If you dont then why help waste my time?

9. Sep 10, 2006 #8
    yes....

Yeah energy density i guess is what im refering to, though that isnt really a commonly used term i guess.... what i mean is if the universe became infinitly large, then the density of energy would be infinitly small, and such the quantity of space with no energy would vastly increase. At the stage where this largness is at its threshold (if there is one) is it possible to distinguish what it is or if there is one?
    I would assume at that point, the universe becomes elastic and its boundaries become flexable creating a very similar to 'dynamic' outer boundaries of the Universe. However it would no be able to pass that point and as it gets nearer, more energy is pulling together than the universe has energy to expand.
    Edit: this is what would create the dynamic state
    added: This space is theoratically a vacuum, how does it exist as a contributing part of the universe?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?